PDA

View Full Version : Would this car inverter suffice to power my pc for a full detailing session

fliplyricist1
04-02-2008, 01:05 AM
VECTOR 500/1000 watt DC to AC Car Power Inverter w/case - eBay (item 130210711737 end time Apr-06-08 18:10:12 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/VECTOR-500-1000-watt-DC-to-AC-Car-Power-Inverter-w-case_W0QQitemZ130210711737QQihZ003QQcategoryZ79816 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Just curious if that would suffice to power a 7424 for a full day`s detailing (I`d probably leave the car idleing quite a bit just to be on the safe side to protect my optima red top. But just curious if you think this inverter would get the job done...this is just to power the pc, and nothing else. I`d love to use a traditional outlet, but we don`t have ANY outdoor ones at my complex, and it sucks.

Thanks much

Domas
04-02-2008, 02:06 AM
It shows it can handle 500 Watt power, and the PC is 450 Watt, so it should be enough.

fliplyricist1
04-02-2008, 02:32 AM
^^ gracias

jesselyons2002
04-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Don`t forget to have the car running, so you don`t drain the batterie.

imported_truzoom
04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I think a single red top Optima would drain pretty quick using a PC off of an inverter. (definitely not a day`s worth of detailing)

Consider that your car`s alternator is NOT a quick charger, and long idling of an engine usually doesn`t do it too well in the long run.

If you would like to seriously go with the "portable power" route, consider using a few golf cart batteries hooked up in series/parallel so you have 12v and a fair amount of capacity. This of course will be more expensive than you had originally planned for.

The other option is to get a generator. There was a thread a while back about using generators and it had some helpful recommendations on models to use.

Also look into renting a generator from a rental equipment store like RSC. I assume you only need to power your PC for your personal car and don`t need it for a long term basis. This will cost a lot less, you can get a powerful enough generator for your needs, and you`ll get the job done with a lot less pay out of pocket.

*edit - refer to this thread (http://autopia.org/forum/professional-detailers/73811-whats-your-power-source.html) for one of my ideas concerning the use of batteries for detailing with a pc

jesselyons2002
04-02-2008, 11:37 PM
You hook up you battery in parrallel for a bigger reserve capacity if you don`t want the car running. You get a high output alternator if you want you battery to charge faster. But if you upgrade your alternator, you need to upgrade the power wires and ground wires(Big 3).

imported_truzoom
04-02-2008, 11:42 PM
You hook up you battery in parrallel for a bigger reserve capacity if you don`t want the car running. You get a high output alternator if you want you battery to charge faster. But if you upgrade your alternator, you need to upgrade the power wires and ground wires(Big 3).

The last 2 options are just a lot of extra work when you can just go buy a chinese made $150 generator and be set.

But I`m just totally opposed to the idea of running amp-sucking powertools off of an automobile`s electrical system.

The only time I see it work is when you have specific vehicular applications such as carpet cleaning trucks that are designed to idle for long periods and have the beefed up electrical components to handle the extra drain.

Big_O
04-02-2008, 11:48 PM
More than likely drain the battery within 1 to 2 hours of continual usage if the motor isn`t running. It`s also not safe to use your vehicle in that manner unattended. You are better off purchasing a small generator instead. Be sure to carry jumper cables and/or a remote start (portable battery). Running an electrical device will pull more amperage than leaving your headlights on. It may be a little embarrasing to ask the client for a jump after the detail. Get a generator :).

fliplyricist1
04-03-2008, 02:09 AM
well, i heeded your guys` advice, and did some driving around today

found a rite-aid about 10 miles from my house and right across from a coin-op wash...the two outlets (both working) are located on the side of the building and about 60 feet from the entrance of the rite-aid. It`s customer parking out there, but no one parks there as there just aren`t that many customers...ever. Do you think I`d be ok just to use this spot to polish...for a single afternoon? I`m kind of aprehensive to ask management, but I`m about 98 percent sure they`ll probably be keen to me after the first couple hours of having the pc at speed 6. Not sure what to do ....

TTWAGN
04-03-2008, 05:16 AM
I wouldn`t get an invertor to run your buffer.

The 500watt invertor will not last long running at its max continuous rating unless its an expensive name brand invertor.

You`d have to leave your engine running continuous. At idle your car is lucky to produce 500watts from your alternator so it wont be good for the battery and your car wont like idling for so long.

You`d be far better off getting a small petrol generator. The made in china ones are excellent value for money. Make sure that you get something thats atleast 750watts continuous if you plan on drawing 500watts.

This will actually be very useful if you detailed someone elses car as you can carry the generator next to the car you are working on.

imported_truzoom
04-03-2008, 08:12 AM
You really should NOT use electrical outlets that you don`t have given access to.

Does a buddy of yours own a house with a driveway that you could use for an afternoon?

Setec Astronomy
04-03-2008, 08:24 AM
You really should NOT use electrical outlets that you don`t have given access to.

+1

I actually read in my local paper about a police-involved incident where a contractor working on a house being rebuilt, that the power was shut off to, plugged into an outdoor outlet on the neighbor`s house. The neighbors were a bit miffed when they got home and found out that the contractor had been using their electricity all day, and called the police.