PDA

View Full Version : Malm`s Chemical Corp.

qballjr13
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Have anyone ever heard of Malm`s Chemical Corp? There was a little write up about them in a local newspaper near me. Granted, it was a true detailers nightmare to read, but they say this stuff is being offered at some Porsche dealers. Anyone?

Malm`s Carnauba Wax and Polish outshines anything! (http://www.malms.com/)

Thomas Dekany
03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Most people don`t bother returning products, so the guarantee doesn`t mean too much to me.

REMEMBER: Polishing is what makes or breaks the look. Waxes are icing on the cake although it will add to the look for sure.

Order the small sizes and let us know. Who knows?

Hey, Moe!
03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Malm`s has been around quite a long time. I remember reading their advertising back in the `80s, in Road and Track. I`ve never tried it myself.

If there is one person around here who could give you info on Malm`s, it would be Accumulator. I don`t think that there is much in the detailing universe that he hasn`t seen.

Setec Astronomy
03-31-2008, 10:27 PM
If there is one person around here who could give you info on Malm`s, it would be Accumulator. I don`t think that there is much in the detailing universe that he hasn`t seen.

I`m sure he`ll be in on this thread, he`s mentioned his use of Malm`s waxes before.

Big Leegr
04-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Their small liquid wax is SMALL! But it spreads really well.

It got a poor rating in the Guru Reports, but I`ve found that the liquid wax works pretty well. Spreads very easily. Lasts around a month. Looks nice.

The polishes seem fairly mild. I haven`t heard anything about anyone trying the paste wax, although it has been posted that someone was buying it a year or 2 ago. No follow up from them though.

(I did do a review on it a while back in the "reviews" section.)

imported_Detailing Technology
04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Here is the tirck...who is GURU REPORTS?

Check their site...last update seems to be in 2004.

Big Leegr
04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Yes, it def. isn`t a new publication. Steve L. left a while back. I don`t think there are any current plans to do an updated version.

Just mentioned it as a reference that many people would know of and how it seemed to differ in results to mine.

Accumulator
04-01-2008, 11:38 AM
If there is one person around here who could give you info on Malm`s, it would be Accumulator...

-AND-

I`m sure [Accumulator]`ll be in on this thread, he`s mentioned his use of Malm`s waxes before.

Yeah, I went through a Malm`s phase where I used their stuff more than anything else, even had the dealership using it on our inventory (bought it by the gallon). Got my first Cyclo through Malms too!

Not bad stuff at all IME/IMO.

Their polish is a decent middle-strength polish, but it can be a bit of a PIA to buff off. Back when everybody was raving about stuff like 3M FI-II I liked the Malm`s a *lot* better.

Their #10 Glaze/Polish is sorta in the Meg`s #9 vein, but a little more abrasive (in-between #9/#81 and #80 perhaps, hard to say). Not bad as a filler-type product (I know, such things are out of vogue here...). Pretty user-friendly IIRC.

The wax is a good liquid. No trim staining at all, I used it on the plastic *and RUBBER* trim on the XJS before I switched to Souveran. Good beading, decent durability (held up very well on the Jag`s hot hood, infinitely better than Souveran). A little goes a long way and it goes on/off very easily expecially by machine. It layers to the point where you can get a bit too much of a build-up if you really overdo it without claying/etc. between applications.

When I used their polish/glaze/wax system, the beads of water would roll right off the XJS when I can to a stop- very impressive IMO. I dunno how the polish would work on today`s super hard/soft paints, but IMO the Malm`s line is certainly *not* bad stuff. Their booklet on detailing had a lot of out-of-date info in it, like washing with plain water and so on, but it was pretty standard-fare-info for its time (I`d date it around the early-mid `70s, guess they just never updated it).

Oh, and it seems to have an infinite shelf-life; I have some from the `80s that still appears to be good as new. I`m almost tempted to do the Jag with it for old time`s sake :D

qballjr13
04-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I actually had no intention on buying any, unless the reviews were that good, but I just wanted to hear if anyone had used it. Like I said the article in the paper was terrible and not really geared toward anyone who like to "detail" a car campared to just an amature cleaning.

Accumulator
04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Too bad the article was so crappy, it probably casts an undeserved pall over the Malm`s stuff when people read it and perhaps think it`s a line for dummies who don`t know about "better stuff".

qballjr13
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I guess I should be carefully with the term "crappy". It just wasn`t very detailed and skipped a few crucial step, like clay and polishing to get rid of swirls and defects. It spoke very highly of the Malm products.