PDA

View Full Version : What is this???

johnnyz
03-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I have been trying to get this out of the hood of a 2001 black 911. It was a daily driver in Seattle that sat outside for a summer. My question is what is this mark, and can it be removed from the paint?

stilez
03-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Clearcoat failure. That will need to be repainted.

johnnyz
03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I should have added some more info. This is about the size of a dime, and nothing is "flaking off". I had an old explorer that had clearcoat failure, and this is nothing like that.

It looks like someone has imbedded htreads from a cotton ball in the paint.

Johnny

pampos
03-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Clearcoat failure. That will need to be repainted.

i agree but i have a question.How this caused??

johnnyz
03-30-2008, 12:21 PM
The guy I bought it off of didn`t wash it for a few months, and there was stuff like tree sap and bird poop on it. Unfortunately, I got the car and whatever caused this was washed off already. The spot is small, and the lines in it are really small.

Johnny

Chris@Optimum
03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
What he means is not that the paint was defective from the factory process, but that somthing, (i.e. tree sap, bird bomb, etc) breached the clearoat causing it to fail. I have a couple spots exactly like that on my Landcruiser from the previous owner`s neglect. They will not come out, and must be repainted, I even tried wetsanding, but to no avail.

BigJimZ28
03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
it is etching prob from the bird poop

you could try Wetsanding but the CC is failing...sorry, repaint is in order

johnnyz
03-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Bummer,

That`s what I thought might be the case. It sucks because it is so visible on the hood. It totally draws your eye to it.

Johnny

clnfrk
03-30-2008, 02:12 PM
From the looks of it, that panel could sure use a repaint even if the spot you are referring to wasn`t there. Those scratches look pretty deep. Sad to see such neglect on a fine automobile such as the 911.

Chris@Optimum
03-30-2008, 04:30 PM
How about that stuff SVR was pushing that melts the paint, does anyone know if this would be an application for that stuff. GLARE I think it is??

johnnyz
03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes, The car has alot of paint damage to it, but I absolutely love it. I haven`t worked that part of the hood yet, but I am doing the following:

Meguirs Fine cut

Meguirs Swirl remover

Meguirs mirror finish glaze

Meguirs polish

Blitz wax.

It looks pretty darn good when I finish a section.

I`m doing it all by hand, so it`s taking a while, but boy does it shine when I`m done.

Am I missing anything??

Johnny

I also live in Seattle, and I am going to repaint it. I just have to find a great painter.

Deanski
03-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Dude, don`t spend a whole lot of time on this.... If he owns the car, he needs to take it to the shop and have it prepped for a re-shoot of the hood.

An 911 owner without some kind of cover? :nono 996 paint is soft to begin with. Add some bird droppings etc and you`re sure to have the clear fail.

Just have him send it in...Hell, it`s a Porsche not a Subaru:chuckle:

Deanski

BlueLibby04
03-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Yup, I have a small spot on the fender of my Jeep like that. Pretty sure something got on it awhile back causing it to fail.

Its not spread for the two or so years its been there so Im not worried about it. Its not big enough to worry with.

Neofate
03-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Yup -- Don`t waste your time with all those products. Just get it repainted.. This is definitely clear coat eaten up. Which is a huge lesson to all those who leave bird poop, tree sap and other contaminates on their paint for days/weeks/months (years) at a time.