PDA

View Full Version : Question about scratches...

kaval
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone. I had a client come to me a few weeks ago with some scratches on his 2006 Honda CRV, on the rear passenger quarter panel. They are bunched together in a circle-like formation with a diameter of about 3.5-4 inches. Unfortunately I did not get any pictures, so bare with me here :).

The scratches are not through the clear, but my nail lightly gets caught. It`s tempting to pick up some PG and an orange pad to see what would happen, but I did not have anything with me at that time. Unfortunately I don`t have a PTG on me so I haven`t been able to measure the thickness around the area.

My question is, given that the scratches are not through the clear, what remedies can I offer my client? I considered using the touch-up clear (from the touch up pen) but obviously this won`t completely fix the problem. The owner is not looking to get it repainted, but will if it is absolutely necessary. Could I clearcoat the area and then wetsand to even everything out?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Kaval

mysteryan
03-28-2008, 11:46 PM
On the bumper? Sounds like someone backed up into his CRV slowly, flexed it in, in a sense, wrinkling the paint even though it flexed back out to normal.

kaval
03-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Sorry, it`s on the rear passenger quarter...metal...

original post updated.

salty
03-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Don`t think the clear coat approach is the way to go. Personally i would wet sand then polish. If he wants the panel perfect, repaint.

wannafbody
03-29-2008, 08:25 AM
X Kote might work to fill them. Otherwise compounding will reduce them but you won`t eliminate them.

gmblack3
03-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Sounds like it got hit with an egg.

imported_detailjohn
03-29-2008, 03:22 PM
definitely egg +1 - Can`t fix it, send it to body.