PDA

View Full Version : Damage to alloy wheel - Need expert advice.

ukguy
03-28-2008, 06:50 PM
I am hoping that there are any tire fitters and wheel detailers that can help me please. Recently I visited a local tyre garage (national chain in the UK) for a puncture repair on my Golf Mk5 16 inch Imola alloy. I have been very careful since I purchased my alloys and they were all in as new condition. I have never kerbed them and I have side wall kerb protectorson the original fitted Bridgestones.

At the tyre place, after asking the operative to be careful with my alloy wheel, I was pretty dismayed to receive it back damaged, blatantly caused by incorrect fitting on the tyre machine there. I approached the manager at the branch and he said it was impossible that the damage had been caused by the machine. I then complained to their head office, went back and saw the regional manager and he concurred that the damage had not occurred on the tyre machine. The branch manager there even suggested it might have happened through hitting a pot hole. I mentioned the wheel wasn`t buckled in any way, he said it could be pot hole damage anyway...

I tried to push for a replacement alloy sighting the fact a refurbish would never be sufficient to return it to 100% factory finish condition. I also pointed out that all other 3 wheels were in perfect condition that they hadn`t touched were in perfect condition. They said no to the replacement based on the fact their machine didn`t damage it.

The heavy scouring has damaged the machine metalled rim and lifted the lacquer slightly (feels like a bubble when I press my finger on parts). There is also damage through the silver paint into the alloy.

Just to add to my concerns with this tyre dealer, I asked if I could take a picture of the machine so I could do my own investigation. The regional manager would not allow me to, stating the fact they were private premises. I was fuming by that point, but didn`t swear nor shout...I just said that I would mention his comments in writing together with a complaint and reasons of why I think they damaged my alloy and why I think an replacement at their cost is the only course of action. I also mentioned the small claims court and the guy didn`t seem bothered.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone in the trade so I can state pure facts to these people. Failing that, I will probably pursue this legally as I think I have a good case. I can provide more close up pictures if it helps.

Thanks very much!

http://www.zoo.co.uk/~adam/alloy-small.jpg