PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend $1500!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

brownj218
03-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey everyone.

As I mentioned in my `new member` thread, I am starting a business with some help from the government. They will give me $1500 to cover start up costs. I`ve created a little list as to where the money will go. If anyone has suggestions of what I should/ shouldn`t buy, please let me know. Also if there a place online or in my area (greater toronto area) that anyone recommends, please let me know.

Anyways, my list:

($600 maximum for equipment)

($200 minimum for advertising)

($100 required for registration)

Carpet Extractor- $200-$300?

Buffer- $75

Portable Wet/Dry vac- $100

Hose with attachment- $50

Cloths, towels, bucket, other misc.- $125

Shampoo, clay, waxes, polishes, protectants, other chemicals- $250-$350 (doesn`t count as equipment)

Advertising- $400

Registration- $100

Unfortunately, everything I buy has to have an invoice and show that taxes were paid. Otherwise I would`ve bought used stuff off craigslist and spent the rest on advertising. O ya, and I will be doing this out of the trunk of my Protege...so all this stuff needs to be as portable as possible. I plan on driving to people`s houses and doing it on their driveway.

Does this make sense?? If anyone sees any flaws in my plan, please let me know. I`m also not sure about the carpet extractor cost which is why everything adds up to $1400.

Once I get my costs down, I`m going to establish a list of services, with prices.

I appreciate the help, thanks!!

elitemobile
03-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Carpet Extractor- $200-$300? Gonna be hard to do unless its used

Buffer- $75What kind of buffer, rotary, PC, flex...also might be hard to do unless your looking at like chicago rotaries and brands like that

Portable Wet/Dry vac- $100seems about right i paid 60 for mine at HD

Hose with attachment- $50Also sounds good

Cloths, towels, bucket, other misc.- $125Good, dont forget various brushes for wheels, interior etc.

Shampoo, clay, waxes, polishes, protectants, other chemicals- $250-$350 (doesn`t count as equipment)Make sure you include pads into this equation for your buffer

CleanGSR
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
If I was you I`d get a little bissel instead of a carpet extractor (just to start out) and spend a little more on your buffer. If I was going to have only one machine, I`d get the Flex. If I could get two, I`d get a rotary and PC/UDM. So, I think you should swap the prices on Buffer and Extractor and then after you do a few details to make some money.....get a better/real extractor. Do you not have any of your own money saved to invest as well? What about rent or are you going to be an on-site detailer? If that`s the case what about a generator and water supply?

1500 doesn`t seem like enough to get everything you need without skimping somewhere. It would be wise to have some of your own money to invest as well. Plus, investing your own money will ensure you to work harder so you don`t lose your own personal investment.

imported_Detailing Technology
03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Better add a ZERO, $15,000 is more like it.

In hard semi-pro equipment alone at a fixed site where you are NOT paying rent you are way over $1500!

Power Washer

Rotary

Lighting

Vacuum

Extractor

Vapor Cleaner

Now add chemicals, towels, and misc goods....

Dont take the money.

cowboytruckn
03-28-2008, 11:21 AM
I would have to agree with some of the guys that $1500 doesn`t sound like enough to really achieve what you want. If you could even match that amount with your own money that would be better.

Hope everything goes well and if you make it work you will have earned every penny of it.

brownj218
03-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I hear what you guys are saying. I`m not looking to go 100% pro or anything like that. I was actually thinking today to just get some brushes and use a wet dry vac. It may take more time, but I figure I should probably just try that first, and if I get alot of business then I will invest in some better equipment. If it doesn`t work out, then I can just spend the remaining money on more chemicals and keep a good few years supply for myself.

Just thinking about it, you probably get more business for washing exteriors anyways, right? Either way, I think I will spend a few more pennies and get a better buffer.

Also, I`m planning on making sure my customers have a hose outlet (I don`t know what house wouldn`t) and then just using water from that. Which brings up another question, is there some sort of cheap portable water heater I can get? All i need to do is fill a bucket with hot water. I don`t really want to ask them if I can fill a bucket in their house. I dunno, thats just what I think, no one does that...right?

Bert
03-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I hear what you guys are saying. I`m not looking to go 100% pro or anything like that. I was actually thinking today to just get some brushes and use a wet dry vac. It may take more time, but I figure I should probably just try that first, and if I get alot of business then I will invest in some better equipment. If it doesn`t work out, then I can just spend the remaining money on more chemicals and keep a good few years supply for myself.

How much experience do you have detailing your own car and friends/family members cars? Since you mentioned you need a orbital/rotary, a wet vac, etc I assume you only have a little experience because even a detailing hobbyist would have much of what you listed to get started. If I am correct, you may want to spend a year to two more detailing your own car and friends` and family members` cars to get some more experience before going out to drum up business in the public.

Just thinking about it, you probably get more business for washing exteriors anyways, right? Either way, I think I will spend a few more pennies and get a better buffer.

Most success detailers are hired for their reputation in being able to correct paint and leaving a deep, wet, look on the paint. Take a look at the Click and Brags of Scottwax and TH001. While I am sure both are very competent at washing a car, their abilities to prep paint is what allows them charge what they do for details. Along with creating impeccable paint, the interior will be expected to look pristine also. If you want to be in the business of doing quick washes, you will be competing with the car wash locations which will be difficult.

Also, I`m planning on making sure my customers have a hose outlet (I don`t know what house wouldn`t) and then just using water from that. Which brings up another question, is there some sort of cheap portable water heater I can get? All i need to do is fill a bucket with hot water. I don`t really want to ask them if I can fill a bucket in their house. I dunno, thats just what I think, no one does that...right?

Some customers may want you to wash their car at their place of work while they are working. Then you will need to use either a rinseless wash or have a large water tank, pressure washer, and maybe a generator, especially if you want to heat the water.

Lastly, you may want to have some money left over to buy a liability insurance policy. If you make a mistake and damage a customers paint, will you be able to pay for the repaint yourself? Some customers may insist that you be insured.

Not trying to be a downer on you but you will want to consider and possibly research what has been brought up in this thread before pulling the trigger.

jimmybuffit
03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
You do understand that you have requested the advice of Professionals on a Forum of a website dedicated to extremely high levels of cleanliness, right?

I`m not sure you`ve come to the right spot, as most folks here will view your actions as young and naive, as opposed to entrepreneurial and professional.

To put this in perspective, $1500 will barely get you a dependable extractor.

But, on a more positive note, I commend you for taking advantage of the Programme offered by your government. I would hope that they require a business plan of sorts... you may want to promote the simpler concept of just providing basic wash and wax service, as opposed to `complete` detailing. Additionally, think long and hard about that $200 advertising budget. Business cards and vinyl lettering for your protege will take most of it.

Good Luck!

Jim

POPPAJ
03-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Send me $750.00 and we`ll work on it together! BUDDY:laugh:

TTWAGN
03-30-2008, 02:56 AM
You can do it for $1500.. It will be hard though.

Personally i think a carpet extractor is a waste of money. A strong wet n dry vac is all you need to clean carpet to 90% of the quality of a extractor. Use a spray bottle and brush to rub the carpet and then vacuum it up. If dont have the budget to cover all your bases then dont try to be the jack of all trades and master of none. Get less equipment but higher quality, you can always get a $500 heated extractor down the track if business picks up. So a strong fairly portable $200 wet n dry vac is all you need to clean most carpets.

With the buffer this really depends on what cars you are doing.

If you have faded, heavily swirled and oxidised paint jobs coming in then a rotary is your best choice by a golden mile. It cuts through clear coat quickly.

If you are only doing brand new vehicles say prep at a new car dealership then an ultimate detailing machine will be fine. Its a random orbital machine. It will struggle with heavy paint correction but light polishing it is the quickest and easiest machine to use.

If you are doing fairly new used cars that will always have a fair enough of swirls then something like the Flex 3401 would be a good choice. Its a forced rotation orbital machine. Its user friendly like the UDM but has more cut (still less cut than a rotary though). This buffer is reasonably expensive though.

If i had to buy one machine i`d buy the Flex 3401, as most cars i get dont require a rotary but a UDM may take a little too long. This choice is up to you.

You then need pads. Get atleast half a dozen of each for cutting, polishing and finishing.

With two compound/polishes and 3 pad types that gives you 6 different grades of cut. keep it simple and uncomplicated.

Compound: 1 gallon of meguiars M105 (for paint correction)

Polish: 1 quart of Menzerna 106FF (to remove marring and holograms)

All in one: 1 gallon of meguiars #66 quick detailer cleaner wax (for the cheap details)

Spray wax: 1 gallon Duragloss aquawax (for the wash n wax`s)

Paste wax: Poorboys natty blue. (for customers that want a proper wax)

Car wash for mobile detailing: 1 gallon Optimum no rinse (also clay lube and quick detailer)

Car wash for dirty jobs: 1 gallon Meguiars hyper wash (strong and cheap)

All purpose cleaner: Simple green (interiors, wheels, tyres, engine bay)

Dressing: 1 gallon meguiars hyper dressing (can be diluted for wheels, interior)

Clay bars: Claymagic blue and claymagic red for bad cars.

Spray bottles to dilute everything into smaller bottles.

You then need buckets, brushes, sponges, gritguards and HEAPS of microfibres. You dont want to have to wash microfibres after every detail. Try and colour code everything. E.g yellow for interior. Blue for polishing paint. red for waxing and white cheap towels for dirty wheels and tyres.

All this should fit in a standard car. If you are going to be mobile i`d strongly suggest you get a 20 gallon water tank to fill with water and get a 12 volt water pump. Get a 10 metre hose and you can park next to the customers car and you`ll save heaps of time setting up for quick washing.

If you can follow up your $200 details with $20 washes every fortnight it will capture a large share of the market.

imported_DieselMDX
03-30-2008, 04:42 AM
wow great advice!

brownj218
03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks alot man, that was really good advice. I was actually thinking about it, and since I can spend whatever I want on consumables (waxes, shampoos, towels) maybe I will just get Ultima PGP. Based on what I have read and seen, the only downside to it is the cost, which won`t affect me that much. That way, I have about 300-400 to spend alone on ultima. After I run out of that, I will hopefully have enough money to get a buffer (since the only reason I would run out is from business). And then with a good wet/ dry vac, and all my brushes, soaps, cloths, towels and stuff, i`ll be good to go.

Based on my situation (the $1500 I have to spend) does that make sense?

brownj218
03-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Alright, so I just filled out my business plan. Here`s what I put down:

Wet/Dry vacuum- $180

Applicators- $150

Sonus Der Wunder Applicator Pkg/2

1-inch Round Natural Detail Brush

Handi-Grip Applicator

Microfiber Cleaning Towel Pkg/3 (x3)

Microfiber Detailing Towel Pkg/3 (x3)

Blue Perl Buffing Towels Pkg/2 (x3)

OXO Wash Brush

OXO Tire & Wheel Brush

OXO Detailers Scrub Brush

Sonus Ultimate Wool Wash Mitt (x2)

Chemicals: $410-

Ultima Paint Prep Plus

Ultima Paint Guard Plus 12 oz (x3)

Sonus SFX Detail Clay

Sonus Der Wunder Wash

Sonus Leather Care

Sonus ALL-IN-1 Total Auto

Sonus Cockpit

Sonus Tire Gel

303 Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner

Sonus Perfect Glass Bundle

Shipping: $100

As far as I am concerned, I think this is all I will need for the services I plan to offer. Am I missing any basic things that are essential for the business? Other than what I have listed, I only plan on buying one of each product. I`m just looking for further recommendations for additional products or quantities of these products... or any other advice before I submit this application. I am also planning to buy a few buckets, spray bottles, and a hose.

By the way, I know this only adds up to $840, but I still have to pay for advertising, cards and flyers, and other expenses (bank fees, etc). I still have room though in the budget to add additional products, so recommend away!

imported_detailjohn
03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
If I was going to do it, I`d forget about the extractor for now, get yourself some good brushes, and chemicals, and do it by hand. Get yourself a decent pressure washer to start. A good "prep" is the most important part of the detail. Go find a chemical distributor in your area, and buy several 5-gallon dispensers, and dillutable cleaners. They cost a lot less than aerosol cleaners. An air compressor is also a MUST have. To properly detail the inside of a car, an air hose is critical. Check out Mark V Professional Detailing Systems (http://www.mark-v.com) they have a lot of top quality detail products with excellent dillution ratios. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, and I will give you a list of their recommended products.

John

brownj218
04-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Hey John.

Ya, I did forget about the extractor. My previous post lists everything I plan to buy. Why a pressure washer and air hose tho? I think I could just as well with the brushes I plan to buy, even if it does take a bit longer.