PDA

View Full Version : UV protection - Interior

Pages : [1] 2

bunkeroo26
03-27-2008, 12:24 AM
I keep reading, and everyone is talking about getting UV protection for their car. Where did this trend come from? Its very unusual...

1) Can UV rays damage the outside of a car? And does UV protection even add any protection?

2) I dont think UV rays affect interior. I am under the assumption that glass transforms UV rays into harmless heat rays. Which, is why you can`t get sun burned behind glass.

So, is this all just another marketting scam? Or, is there new evidence to the contrary?

Trey

Chris@Optimum
03-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Obviously it`s a legitimate concern, you should search it.

bunkeroo26
03-27-2008, 12:49 AM
I`ve seen many legitimate concerns that have turned out to be marketing scams. I`m pretty sure UV doesn`t penetrate to your cars interior.

By the way...

I`d like to vote for "Worst reply to a Question" category, Timeline - Autopia Lifetime

Hope I didnt offend you!

Chris@Optimum
03-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Many people do not have garages, live in sunny areas, have convertables, etc. That` s why I said "obviously" it`s a legitimate concern. No need to be a smartass. If you think its a scam, don`t buy it. Sorry I even answered you.

UpNorth
03-27-2008, 01:13 AM
I think whether UV matters or has an impact depends on where you live. Here in Alaska, I see no effect. But when I visit Hawaii & Florida (as one is want to do if one lives in Alaska), I see lots of cars that have clearly been ravaged by the elements, both inside and out. So I`m thinking UV (or maybe it`s just heat) protection is not necessarily a scam. Whether a given product lives up to its claims is another issue.

XR5Turbo
03-27-2008, 04:41 AM
I`m not sure of the effectiveness of UV marketed products for car interiors, however, surely the suns rays in whatever form UVA,B,C has a fading effect on a car interior over time.

My old beater car proves this, in fact the cheap black seat covers faded to grey in only 6 months of Australian sunshine. What else would cause it to fade so quickly?

One sure way to avoid any sun damage to a car interior is a decent window tint such as 3M.

old_gonzo
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
303 Aerospace is also excellent for UV protection . Use it regularly and love it.:dance

BlueLibby04
03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Ive got all my windows tinted with 20% tint and keep a sun shade in the windshield when parked. I have very little UV rays entering my Jeep.

I do not believe the glass will cut all of the UV rays out though.

Bobby G
03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I keep reading, and everyone is talking about getting UV protection for their car. Where did this trend come from? Its very unusual...

1) Can UV rays damage the outside of a car? And does UV protection even add any protection?

2) I dont think UV rays affect interior. I am under the assumption that glass transforms UV rays into harmless heat rays. Which, is why you can`t get sun burned behind glass.

So, is this all just another marketing scam? Or, is there new evidence to the contrary?

Trey

Not sure where you read that glass turns UV into heat? If that were true, my left arm would not be more tanned than my right!

Look at any car that sits in the sun all day and you can clearly see that damage being done. Clearcoat failures, faded rear decks, gray bumper trim, and cracked dashboards are very common in the "sunshine belt". This is all UV damage.

BuffMe
03-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Not sure where you read that glass turns UV into heat? If that were true, my left arm would not be more tanned than my right!

Look at any car that sits in the sun all day and you can clearly see that damage being done. Clearcoat failures, faded rear decks, gray bumper trim, and cracked dashboards are very common in the "sunshine belt". This is all UV damage.

I was about to say... my left arm disagrees!

I find that I really like Meguiar`s Natural Shine for the interior to give a slight gloss and provide UV protection. 303 also works just as well.

jayjacque
03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
I think this post was meant as a joke, but oh well I`ll bite...

I spent something like 22 years in Arizona and Texas. Can`t even count how many re-dyes of interiors, moldings and graphic decal replacements and bumper painting I did - all from sunbleach/UV rays. And yeah I always had a dark left arm.

Legacy
03-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Very good explanation!!

bunkeroo26
03-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Sorry guys, No this is not a joke, lol.

Do you think your left arms are more tan, is that you drive with the drivers window down? I also thought that most cracked dashes were from using silicon based products, and when the silicon dries up, it cracks the dash.

Neofate
03-27-2008, 11:12 PM
That debate is still on-going. I have people who say Armor-all is fine,.. and I have some say its the devil, and will ruin your dash. Some say use water based for your dash, ie: Non -silicone.

I personally think silicone is fine, if you keep it applied regularly, (ie: don`t give it a chance to dry out) -- but to be safe , don`t use it on the dash and such. I don`t anymore.

I need to get some aerospace 303 myself, .. I have no good dash/vinyl protectant.. even though I have several products they all stink =) IE: Meguires quick interior detailer is terrible, imo. (Might be ok to clean up messes, but not for a protectant)

bunkeroo26
03-27-2008, 11:19 PM
I have 303 Aerospace. It is my number one product for the seals around the doors, and trim around the whole car. I think its a great product! But, I`ve just never used it for the dash.