PDA

View Full Version : Help Newbie - Cleaning Black S2000

taffyb
03-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

Introductions first - I`m brent, i suppose fairly new to the detailing world, keen to learn & as always grateful for any help, tips, advice etc.

I`ve had my Berlina Black / Red Leather S2000 since early Oct & due to crap weather & conditions i`ve not yet been able to give it a good clean/wax etc.

Granted i`ve tried to keep on top of all the winter crap & so far managed to do the following:

Not long after bought - once over with some "Autoglyn Super Resin" & "Ultra Gloss".

Just before Xmas - "Meguirs Wheel Cleaner", "Autoglyn Intensive Tar Remover" & "Autoglyn Super Resin", a wheel brush & tooth brush on the wheels.

Used the "Autoglyn Vinyl & Rubber Care" on my roof a few times now, good but keep getting it all over the paint work as soon as it rains. DOH

Given the Leather some "Meguirs Leather care" stuff just before xmas & i clean the car a "Meguirs Hand Mitt" & "Autoglyn Car shampoo" usually once every 3 wks.

So, although i`ve done a fair bit of searching & reading up on this site & some others, got a bit bamboozled as whats best to do (realistically) to get the best results.

I would obviously like to get the car looking its best, but unfortunately dont have a garage & cant throw hundreds at it to get it done by a pro.

Therefore - could anyone advise whats the best actions to take? On all aspects, exterior, wheels, interior, roof, engine bay etc.

Products - ideally off the shelf, but if that much more beneficial can do mail order. Time - Unfortunately stuck to wkends only. Dedication - I do enjoy it & get to know the car better. Equipment - Hands only, unless i can get a cheapish machine. Car - its BLACK !! Some minor stone chips & hair line scratches, 1 kinda deep scratch about 1cm on front right wing, lots & lots of swirls unfortunately, Oh & some black spots/marks that i cant seem to remove from my alloys?

Once again any help much appreciated on all aspects.

Thanks for your time

Brent

mgproudfit
03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Where are you located? I have an S2000 and am an avid detailer and if you`re local to me, Id be more than willing to show you the ropes.

-Matt

imported_themightytimmah
03-26-2008, 11:22 PM
If you want to do it by hand, Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose topped with Yellow MooseWax is going to be your best bet. Honda paint is butter soft so you might have semi-decent luck, but don`t expect miracles without a buffer.

LanceM
03-26-2008, 11:26 PM
have you read mikeyc`s detailing handbook.. especially made for the s2k?

rm1mty
03-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I second mkeyc`s handbook for the S2K

Home (http://thedetailinghandbook.com/default.aspx)

taffyb
03-27-2008, 07:52 AM
hey all, cheers for the replies.

mgproudfit - I`m located near peterborough. That any good?

themightytimmy - Cant say i`ve heard of those products ? Take it they are mail order only?

LanceM & rm1mty - No not come across it? I`ll take a look at the link.

Providing the weather is decent, i was looking to do some of the work this wkend? However at the moment i dont have any products?

Meguirs or Autoglyn are the only 2 that spring to mind that i can get locally, however if its definately worth it i could hold off & get some other stuff?

Whats the general opinions?

Also how much are good polishing machines?

I could borrow: Halfords Car Polisher 240v from Halfords Price £29.99 3 For 2 on all Car Cleaning Lines (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_18 9810_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varien t__categoryId_31443_crumb_33958-33974_parentcategoryrn_31443)

But as its a cheap one a bit worried about using it.

taffyb
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
mgproudfit - I`m located near Peterborough, any good?

themightytimmah - Ok how much are these buffers? Also if i was to do by hand, the old terry cloth wax on / wax off approach is best i take it?

Lancem & rm1mty - no i havent, i`ll get on the links now. Are you s2000 owners?

Mikeyc
03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I second mkeyc`s handbook for the S2K

Home (http://thedetailinghandbook.com/default.aspx)

Hi guys! Thanks for the recommendation on my website. I always appreciate it.

There are lots of great sources of detailing knowledge (apart from Autopia and my guide of course! ;) ). Be sure to sign up over on S2KI.com and say "hi" in the wash & wax forum. The guys over there know the nooks and crannies of an S2K better than anyone! :2thumbs:

taffyb
03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Mikeyc,

Read your handbook tonight when got in from work & all i can say is thank you very much, its on the right level & very informative. There`s evidently some serious work thats gone into it & very much appreciated.

I just need to decide on what products i`m going to use & get on with it, fingers crossed for some good weather & bring on the aching arms !!!

Cheers

Brent

P.s. - already a member on SK2I.com, this post is currently running in the UK section. - Evan2 was the member who pointed me here.

mgproudfit
03-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh, lol. Im on the other side of the pond.

-Matt

Lowejackson
03-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I would not worry about specific products, technique and patients is much more important. Autoglym sell a good range of products which would compare with most products talked about here. The trick is to gain experience and understand their potential & limitations, eg SRP is a very mild polish with some fillers, therefore it will not be great at removing heavy swirl marks but will hide minor swirls