PDA

View Full Version : Zymol HD-Cleanse... Again.

SuperBee364
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I`ve ranted on and on in the passed about how I love Zymol Vintage wax, but absolutely despise Zymol HD-Cleanse.

Everytime I use the stuff, I swear it`ll be the last. Yet I always seem to end up torturing myself. I`ve been faithfully using it before Vintage every time. Partly because Zymol says that you`re supposed to, and partly because I refuse to let the stuff get the best of me.

Well, yesterday I finally won. The problem with HD-Cleanse is that it gets very evil very quickly after you apply it. The directions say to let it sit for 20 seconds after application. I live in single digit humidity, and if you let it sit for any longer than 2 seconds after application, the stuff gets evil. 5 seconds, and you might as well call an Excorsist, cause you`re gonna need one to get it off your paint.

I had great success using a two-handed HD-Cleanse technique. One hand with the applicator, one hand with an mf towel ready to immediately remove the residue. And it worked great! HD-Cleanse really is a good prewax cleaner/filling glaze. It`s just really hard to work with. You gotta be fast.

And more good news... if you should find an area where the HD-cleanse is still on the paint, don`t stress. The solvents in your Vintage (or whatever EG you`re using) will re-desolve the HD-Cleanse when you apply the wax. Using your bare hand to apply the EG (as recommended by Zymol) makes it very easy to tell when you`ve found an area of HD-Cleanse that you didn`t get off. Just give it a little extra rub of your EG, and it will desolve and be removed when you buff off the wax.

HD-Cleanse also does a very nice job on glass. But again, it is seriously hard to remove if you let it dry. It did a great job of removing the sticker outlines and suction cup outlines on the front and rear windows of my new car.

DM101
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I fixed my problem with HDC. I use Men. PO85RD with a finishing pad. I removes my old wax and stuff leaving a clean finish that looks great. Then I apply my Vintage. Works for me.

bimmerzhp
03-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Superbee64, you state you use HD before each time you use Vintage, but I thought Zymol states using HD once or twice a year. I have used HD w/o any problems here in NY, and I think it is a pretty good product. If the two hand technique works then go with it!

steelwind101
03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
HiHi

With regard HD cleanse i have had mixed results. Its been about for a fair few yrs now and i certantly prefer to put down RMG before by final Zymol wax.

I think the HD Cleanse needs to be revamped as the results, IMO, are nothing special. It does leave a nice glossy finish and the paint prepped ready for the LSP. It does leave oils on the paintwork, its totally bare after application.

Not be a PIA but there are no solvents in any of the EG range of waxes! Nor in the blue ones like Japon and Carbon etc. They are loaded with oils though which is probably enough make the left over HD Cleanse moist and there for easy to remove.

HD Cleanse doesnt like warm surfaces or sun light. IF you do get in to trouble a squirt of a polymer free and wax free QD should keep things moving nicely!

The thing with HD Cleanse is that its easily mistaken for chocolate moose! Id love Zymol to update this product though and put MF applicators with the box sets not those Cotton ones. Also get rid of the cotton towels, this is 2008! MF is cheap and we deserve it. Nice waxes, a shame about the extras.

Geoff

SuperBee364
03-26-2008, 04:14 PM
HiHi

With regard HD cleanse i have had mixed results. Its been about for a fair few yrs now and i certantly prefer to put down RMG before by final Zymol wax.

I think the HD Cleanse needs to be revamped as the results, IMO, are nothing special. It does leave a nice glossy finish and the paint prepped ready for the LSP. It does leave oils on the paintwork, its totally bare after application.

Not be a PIA but there are no solvents in any of the EG range of waxes! Nor in the blue ones like Japon and Carbon etc. They are loaded with oils though which is probably enough make the left over HD Cleanse moist and there for easy to remove.

HD Cleanse doesnt like warm surfaces or sun light. IF you do get in to trouble a squirt of a polymer free and wax free QD should keep things moving nicely!

The thing with HD Cleanse is that its easily mistaken for chocolate moose! Id love Zymol to update this product though and put MF applicators with the box sets not those Cotton ones. Also get rid of the cotton towels, this is 2008! MF is cheap and we deserve it. Nice waxes, a shame about the extras.

Geoff

That`s actually not quite true. The oils and other contents of the Vintage (other than the carnauba itself) are there to hold the wax in a solvent state. The oils *are* the solvents. Otherwise, the jar would just be a solid brick of carnauba. HD-Cleanse is also soluble by the oils in the Vintage; it changes the HD-Cleanse back to a semi-liquid state enabling it to be easily removed.

Oh, and to clarify... I did state earlier that I use HD-Cleanse before each application of Vintage, and that`s not true. What I should have said is that I use HD-Cleanse before *each initial* application of Vintage after polishing. Then after the first layer of Vintage, I wait a few days, and apply another layer of Vintage without using HD-Cleanse. As others have stated, EG`s look best after about three layers. Using HD-Cleanse before each layer would remove any previous layers.

Accumulator
03-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Well....I`m glad people are mastering the HD-CLeanse, but if *I* ever do the Vintage thing I still think I`m gonna use Pinnacle PCL or something else user-friendly. Heh heh, even when you guys try to make the HD-C sound OK it makes me think "no way" :D

steelwind101
03-26-2008, 05:27 PM
That`s actually not quite true. The oils and other contents of the Vintage (other than the carnauba itself) are there to hold the wax in a solvent state. The oils *are* the solvents. Otherwise, the jar would just be a solid brick of carnauba. HD-Cleanse is also soluble by the oils in the Vintage; it changes the HD-Cleanse back to a semi-liquid state enabling it to be easily removed.

Oh, and to clarify... I did state earlier that I use HD-Cleanse before each application of Vintage, and that`s not true. What I should have said is that I use HD-Cleanse before *each initial* application of Vintage after polishing. Then after the first layer of Vintage, I wait a few days, and apply another layer of Vintage without using HD-Cleanse. As others have stated, EG`s look best after about three layers. Using HD-Cleanse before each layer would remove any previous layers.

Aha! You learn something new everyday! I just assumed it was the oil in there that kept it from going totally soild. :up

lbls1
03-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey, that`s nice to know. I am contemplating a non-abrasive prep this year, with only spot correction in areas missed previously. I was thinking on the lines of mother`s pc after the clay, but after hearing your testimony and my prior (pain in the butt) experience with hd cleanse, I may give it another shot.