PDA

View Full Version : dashboard protection

Pages : [1] 2

pampos
03-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi all,

i would like to ask what is the best product that can clean/protect the dashboard against the high temperatures??

KnuckleBuckett
03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
303 gets good reviews. I like Ultima.

BigJimZ28
03-26-2008, 11:48 AM
a bag of ice will help with the temperature

pampos
03-26-2008, 12:24 PM
a bag of ice will help with the temperature

can you colorize the ice??because of the different dashboard`s colors...:LOLOL

DirtySouth
03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I really like Meguiars #40. It cleans and seems to have a good level of protection. It`s a little slick, but once it dries it doesn`t leave a greasy finish like Armor All. It last for a very long time too.

es350
03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
I have used 303 in the past with good results. The only slight draw back with 303 is that it can be a little glossy, it can streak, and the smell isn`t great.

I now use Optimum Protectant Plus (OPP) with even better results. It is a bit glossy like 303 but it doesn`t streak and it smells great. As a plus, OPP also cleans dust and light dirt that`s on the surface and acts as a 1 step product.

Ron Harris
03-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I would recommend the Optimum Protectant Plus as well.

wytstang
03-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I went from 303 to OP+ as well, but mainly due to the price increase. But I got the same matte look and same durability and saved some $$.

kh765
03-27-2008, 01:17 AM
I like 303 or Satin Prot. I prefer the look of Satin Prot myself.

paul34
03-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Optimum protectant plus mostly because it also has light cleaners in it which makes it appropriate for a weekly (or however often you do your regular light interior detailing) product. 303 is a good product, undoubtedly, but since it lacks really any sort of cleaner it isn`t really suited in the same way OPP is.

Accumulator
03-27-2008, 02:53 PM
To be honest, I don`t find most of today`s dashboards really *need* much protection. If it`s an older car, or if you`re parking it outside in AZ that`d be different (and I`d keep it covered), but on a few of our recent-manufacture vehicles I don`t use *anything* and after years of use their dashboards are still OK. It was the same story with the Volvo wagon, despite its being parked outside 24/7. On the good cars, we do use sunshields if they`re being parked for an extended period, but that`s more for the (leather) steering wheels than the dashboards.

I know, more of my Autopian Heresy....suggesting you might not need to do *anything* :o

brwill2005
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
To be honest, I don`t find most of today`s dashboards really *need* much protection. If it`s an older car, or if you`re parking it outside in AZ that`d be different (and I`d keep it covered), but on a few of our recent-manufacture vehicles I don`t use *anything* and after years of use their dashboards are still OK. It was the same story with the Volvo wagon, despite its being parked outside 24/7. On the good cars, we do use sunshields if they`re being parked for an extended period, but that`s more for the (leather) steering wheels than the dashboards.

I know, more of my Autopian Heresy....suggesting you might not need to do *anything* :o

This is very true. Much has to do with where the car is stored and in what part of the world. Anyways I recommend 303. It will not be glossy unless you apply it incorrectly. The correct way is to wipe it on wet, and then go back with a dry towel and wipe it dry.

Accumulator
03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
And one nice thing about 303 is that, IME, it fades away quite gradually when it eventually does. It`s not like you suddenly have an issue because the treated material looks (badly) different than it did a week ago.

But on dashboards, I usually end up getting window cleaner on `em from doing the inside of the windshield, and at that point I either have to retreat or at least wipe it down to make it look uniform. I tried laying a towel down before doing the glass, but it never worked out all that well for me.

pampos
03-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks.the question was in general protection but the main reason i asked is because a friend of mine has a 1994 Mitsubishi GTO 3000GT,and he just repaint the car,changed the interior replace the rims etc etc but the dashboard was cracked on some unsee places and he want to protect it to avoid more cracking...

Rob22315
03-28-2008, 06:07 AM
+1 for the Ultima interior product and a sun shield

Even on a newer vehicles, the dash and other sun-exposed surfaces seems to really dry out quickly without some type of protectant IME.