PDA

View Full Version : SG food for thought

Jesstzn
03-25-2008, 11:59 AM
I`m currently in the process of prepping my wheels for summer.

After a thorough wash then AIO x1 ( well actually Poliseal ) then its SG x 4.

I am applying the SG one morning and removing it the next and applying the second layer etc.

Got to thinking .. seeing the SG is cured and all I`m removing is the residual haze I should be able to just put the next layer of SG on top of the haze .. removing it at the same time as I apply then 3rd layer etc.

Pix of wheels

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/JessTzn/Acura/WheelA.jpg

Comments?? BTW the calipers are now Gold.

BigJimZ28
03-25-2008, 12:10 PM
my first question is will SG bond over polyseal?

it does not like to bond to most things

Jesstzn
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
my first question is will SG bond over polyseal?

it does not like to bond to most things

Poliseal hasn`t been a problem before .. it is just like AIO and it leaves a sealant layer when removed.

I have used it before under SG and extensively under Megs #21.

BigJimZ28
03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Poliseal hasn`t been a problem before ..

that`s good to know thanks

backwoods_lex
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
[quote name=`BigJimZ28`]my first question is will SG bond over polyseal?

One of my long unanswered questions. I`ve always read that SG and many other sealants don`t bond over carnuba. It states on the polyseal label that it contains carnuba wax.

Although many people have posted that they have used KSG over polyseal without any problems many times, the few times that I have tried it, it left behind that "slick" carnuba like feel (although polyseal is not the slickest by far) as opposed to the "smoth" feeling I usually get from KSG.

I guess the next rational question is how can you be certain that the KSG actually bonded to the polyseal?

Jesstzn
03-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok llets get back on topic and to do so I`ll post a question I put to David at Optimum and I`ll include his answer

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for your email and using the Optimum Car Care products. Poli-Seal does have sealants that cure overnight. However, you can apply Opti-Seal or other sealants and it would bond to them without any issues. In fact, many people apply Opti-Seal right over Polis-Seal to make the application process very easy.

Please let us know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

David Ghodoussi, CEO

Optimum Polymer Technologies, Inc.

Phone: (901) 363-4955

Fax: (901) 363-4956

----- Original Message -----

To: info@optimumcarcare.com

Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:19 PM

Subject: PoliSeal

I was introduced to your products a bit ago and they are now my "go to" instead of Megs #83 & #80 because of the working time.

I have is I have been using PoliSeal as a precleaner for sealants because it cleans up any polish residue and oils etc. And what I was interested in finding out is does it require a cure time. Prior to this I was using Klasse AIO and you can apply a sealant over it immediately.

I know that sealants need 24 hours etc between layers but someone posted in one of the forums that PoliSeal needed cure time also. If so and I apply a sealant like Megs #21 or Klasse etc over it immediately what is the detrimental impact?

Thank you in advance

Jesstzn
03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
[quote name=`BigJimZ28`]

I guess the next rational question is how can you be certain that the KSG actually bonded to the polyseal?

Also poses the question .. how can you be certain it didn`t?

Will it flake off? What are the signs?

Accumulator
03-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Got to thinking .. seeing the SG is cured and all I`m removing is the residual haze I should be able to just put the next layer of SG on top of the haze .. removing it at the same time as I apply then 3rd layer etc..

If you put it on the haze (excess product from previous application), I`d expect it to get wiped off along with that excess product. I`d want the new SG to be in direct contact with the firmly adhered portion of the previous application, not the excess that`s sitting on top of that waiting to be wiped away (along with anything that`s on top of it).

Accumulator
03-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I`ve never used PoliSeal, but I agree that SG has a unique feel to it. You should be able to tell if it`s there just by touching it.

Jesstzn
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I`ve never used PoliSeal, but I agree that SG has a unique feel to it. You should be able to tell if it`s there just by touching it.

I know the feel and its there.

barrijm
03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Jesstzn! As you know from the vortex, I am using SG now. How do you know it is there? What feel is it supposed to have?

I just did the hood of my touareg last night with OC>OP>IPA wipe>SG. It came out great and feels silky smooth, is this what you are referring to?

Jesstzn
03-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey Jesstzn! As you know from the vortex, I am using SG now. How do you know it is there? What feel is it supposed to have?

I just did the hood of my touareg last night with OC>OP>IPA wipe>SG. It came out great and feels silky smooth, is this what you are referring to?

Smooth and slick for the first part.

Accumulator
03-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Smooth and slick for the first part.

Becoming more like a coating/layer of plastic as you layer it. After ~6 layers it *really* feels like a plastic coating.