PDA

View Full Version : Help! Sunroof glass scratches from detailer

Glossy McGlosserton
03-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Okay, I guess I should have listened to my intuition. (But then, whoever said, "Gosh, I wish I hadn`t listened to my intuition....?). While parked in the lot at work, a contractor working on a neighboring building got paint overspray on my car. The contractor offered to send all the cars to a local car wash that has a detailing bay to be washed, clayed and waxed. Because of our water restrictions, which ban home washing, I was kind of happy to have the chance for my car to get real clean. I told them not to wax my car.

I picked up my car on Friday, and Sat. I did a quick ONR detailing, spot clayed a few spots, broke out the UDM and did a Z-PC, Z-AIO, then 2 coats of Z-5.

I used the UDM w/ Z-AIO on the sunroof glass, and there were streaks. Used my fingernail, and !@#?!!, it is about 5 rather deep parallel scratches in the sunroof glass! I had cleaned my sunroof the week before, so I know that these were not there before taking it to the carwash/detailer. Hard to photograph (the camera kept tending to focus on the reflections of trees), but I`ve attached a couple of shots.

It is a "soft cloth" carwash, about 7 years old, and the owner reassured me that I has water being spritzed whenever anything touches the car, blah, blah, blah. I took the chance because I figured I would remove any light marring the next day when polishing. Now I`m kicking myself!

So three questions: Is there anything that can be done to polish these out, or is it really a matter of replacing the glass? The scratches can`t be seen from the inside, so is there any harm in letting them stay (for example, does it make the glass more prone to break)?

And the most important question: what would you do if this was your car? I don`t really know what to ask for at this point.

Thanks!

Neofate
03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Pictures would help as for `fixing it`.

You would have to use a polyacrylic, or some poly to fill it. You can cut glass,.. but not on a sunroof. I`d take it to a windshield repair guy, and have him do his best on it.

BlueLibby04
03-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Go back to the carwash and see what they think about it. If they act like they cant do anything about it then what can you do? If the scratches are left in the glass it should not be a problem.

Major reason I never let anyone touch anything I own.

Neofate
03-25-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree, I forgot to add that statement. Go and make a case to the owner of the carwash. -- They generally won`t do anything. They also have disclaimers -- However you might be able to move this through the guy who started the domino -- (the painter)

He is ultimately responsible,.. Scratches of that magnitiude (from your description) are definitely not normal, from ANY carwash, much less a touchless or light touch.

Chris@Optimum
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Not taking the carwashes side at all, but if it happened in the tunnel, it would be the whole roof and not just the sunroof. If a piece of equiptment fails it will cause very consistent, uniform damage on vehicles. This is not to say that a attendant didn`t do the damage. Some of the tunnel washes PREP the cars with brushes on sticks and 5gallon buckets of soap w/o grit guards. One of them could have had on a watch while drying the roof, etc.

It`s hard to prove and really up to the wash owner to admit fault. If you do pursue it, be as polite as you can and remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It will probably take several visits, but he`ll probably cave just not to see you again. I`d get an estimate to replace the glass, present it to him/her and give him a sob story, play on emotions and speak to him/her in the customer lobby so it`s public, he/she will try to move you into an office so no ones hears, but don`t go. It sucks that people won`t have integrity and that you have to play games, but it will work.

Glossy McGlosserton
03-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I tried to attach two photos to my post. Not sure why they didn`t post.

I thought of the idea that someone may have had on a watch or ring that was drying the car. It is strange that I can`t feel these scratches other than on the glass--none on the paint so far as I can tell--and that the scratches are basically parallel to each other. that they are so regular and parallel makes me doubt that it was from a manual process. I dunno.

Unless you are at the right angle, you can`t see these scratches. But if you run a fingernail on them, they are pretty significant. It is a narrow groove in the glass.

An autopian who used to live in Durham, my town, has recommended a glass place to me. So I`ll call the car wash owner today to alert him to what I`ve found, and go to the glass place this week to hear whether they think it can be polished out, whether it is a structural issue, etc.

Integrity, the idea of going to the owner with a glass repair estimate is a very good one.

Any other ideas on action are very welcome. I want to be fair, but ...

Thanks, all.

imported_themightytimmah
03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
They probably used a razor to get the overspray off glass... all it takes is a couple careless passes. One of our cars has a similar spot from where my Grandfather tried to take off a sticker.

David Fermani
03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
They probably used a razor to get the overspray off glass... all it takes is a couple careless passes.

Ding, Ding, Ding - That`s the answer! They probably used a dull razor blade.

Those scratches arn`t coming out of your sunroof. I suggest looking at all of you glass and see if they scratched it in other spots too. Every piece of glass that`s scratched will require replacement. Because you went to the shop you were told to go to, the company doing the repair (car wash) or the company paying for the repair is responsible for the replacement. Unless they informed you ahead of time that there were scratches present (unrelated prior damage), they are on the hook for it. Especially when the damage is consistent with the method they probably used. Don`t settle for anything less that what`s owed to you - replacement glass (even if it`s used).

I`ve experienced this many times and you should stand your ground and insist that they take care of it. If you need more info PM me and we can talk by phone.