PDA

View Full Version : Detailing plastic/rubber bumpers

ZeroDfx
03-25-2008, 08:09 AM
I have a black 97 540/6 and the paint is in great shape for its age. I maintain a semi-annual regimen of claying, polishing with Menzerna FP II, adding a layer of Menzerna FTG, and finishing with Menzerna FMJ, then maintaining with a HGAS or DG Aquawax after washing. I am happy with the look of the paint but I can never get the black trim and bumpers to look as good.

Over the weekend I applied the same process to the rear bumper using my PC with 4" pads. The part below the trim belt came out OK but nothing to rave about; it still seems to show light swirling. The area of the bumper running under the trunk and above the belt trim frankly looks awful; it looks dull and no matter what I do I can`t get it to show any gloss.

Either what am I doing wrong here, or what could you suggest that would make the plastic bumpers look as good as the metal?

Thanks, Nick

KnuckleBuckett
03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
I haven`t tried it yet (on order), but what about Black WOW?

Neofate
03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
I just used XMT #3 on my bumpers like yours and it brought the shine equivalent to the metal. I wasn`t expecting it, and didn`t think it was possible. Nice surpirse.

I used an Orange pad, and worked it about 5500 -- then finalized it with quick movements at 6000. *With a UDM*

ZeroDfx
03-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Neofate. If I`m not mistaken, the XMT#3 would be more aggressive than the FPII, so maybe I`m not being aggressive enough in my approach. I`m somewhat afraid I`m going to introduce swirling and marring because I`m thinking the bumper material is "soft" by comparison with the metal. I`ve also been using an orange pad with the FPII; I`ll try the Intensive and see if that helps. Thanks for your thoughts.

Accumulator
03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I`ve also been using an orange pad with the FPII...

IMO an orange light-cut pad is awfully aggressive to use with a very mild product like FPII. I only use products like that with polishing or even finishing pads.

ZeroDfx
03-25-2008, 12:19 PM
IMO an orange light-cut pad is awfully aggressive to use with a very mild product like FPII. I only use products like that with polishing or even finishing pads.

Then is your thought that I am using too aggressive a pad or too light a cut product to achieve the results I want? Should I be using the same pad but more aggressive polish? Or FPII w/ a white polishing pad?

TIA

Neofate
03-25-2008, 03:19 PM
We have different cars, thus different paint I`m sure. But I used Orange pad, with XMT 3 -- And it didn`t leave any signs of marring on the bumpers -- It removed swirls well.. But actually the bumper materials seemed to be fairly `hard` and resistent to the orange and XMT 3 -- Which is why they polished up so nice I suppose.

Don`t want to get you into trouble, so take it easy -- but it could be your not going agressive enough. Though I couldn`t imagine this orange pad and the polish I used really tearing anything up.

This is what I would do -- grab a few products, or at least one other one. Do a 6x6 or some such test section. or smaller, (can do it on a lower unseen area..) See how it comes out. Adjust your pads/polishes accordingly on the lower portions for `test`. ;)

Accumulator
03-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Then is your thought that I am using too aggressive a pad or too light a cut product to achieve the results I want? Should I be using the same pad but more aggressive polish? Or FPII w/ a white polishing pad?

TIA

I can`t really say as I`ve never worked on that particular paint :nixweiss The bumpercovers of my e36 M3 have been repainted so I dunno how the OE paint would have responded, but my repainted ones came out fine with a little rotary and PC work.

I`d try to determine whether the problem is a) not removing the marring because your approach is too gentle (then use orange with more aggressive product followed by white with a mild product) or b) you`re instilling new marring by using a too aggressive pad (which isn`t farfetched if you`re using orange with FPII).

I`d match products like FPII with the white polishing pad and leave the orange pad for use with more aggressive products.

IMO the guy to ask about this is probably Totoland Mach, who knows a zillion times more about BMWs than I ever will.

ZeroDfx
03-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks, gentlemen, for the suggestions; I`ll try it both ways w/ a more aggressive polish and finish with FPII on white pad and see how it goes.