PDA

View Full Version : Advice for detailing V Star 100

JasonLI18T
03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I have been doing some amateur mobile auto detailing for a brief time now. A customer just contacted me to detail his Yamaha V Star 100. I have never detailed a motorcyicle before. What should I know? I assume I will treat the painted surfaces just as I would treat the painted surfaces of a car. As for all the chrome...blue magic? mothers metal polish? Meguiars speed glaze 80? Those are the products I currently have that might suit it. For the leather and vinyl areas...i can use the same products I use on leather and vinyl auto interiors? What about the wheels? I just want to make sure I don`t do anything potentially damaging to this guy`s motorcycle.

Black240SX
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
painted surfaces - same as on a car

windscreen - soft plastic, be extra careful or you`ll scratch it, Plexus is the best product to use

seat - do not use any dressing that will make it slippery

tires - do not use any dressing

forks - do not use any polish

JasonLI18T
03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
thanks. how should i deal with the metals/chrome? and is mother`s plastic polish ok for the windscreen?

also, how do i do the initial wash? what can and cant get wet?

Black240SX
03-31-2008, 12:35 AM
For aluminum, I like Mothers Billet Aluminum polish, but there are other good ones on the market. Just stay away from ones containing ammonia as that is harmful to aluminum. You can polish aluminum and stainless steel as much as you want.

For chrome, you can use the same polish but don`t get too aggressive as the plating is thin.

You can wash all parts of the bike, just don`t spray with a lot of force around the gauges and controls.