PDA

View Full Version : Sort of New to Detailing. Need some tips..

CamaroGuy87132
03-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey guys, I`ve been detailing my cars and what not for about a year or 2. I haven`t gotten into anything crazy just washing, washing, polishing. The usual. I`m reading on here about all these different types of things that people use. Products I`ve never heard of before.

Heres the thing. My boss asked me to detail his tahoe because he wants to sell it. So I did and I make 120 bucks for it. Not bad if you ask me since I only washed/waxed it vacuumed the inside and polished some chrome pieces. He was so impressed with the job I did that he told all of his friends/employees about me and they want me to detail their cars now. His one friend has 2 $120k mercedes and a z06. He needs each of his cars detailed once a week. He said he`ll pay 150 a car each car each week.

So I need some tips and tools to learn how to do the job to the best of my ability. Any help is great. Thanks.

KnuckleBuckett
03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
PM me with your email and I will send you the document I have compiled thus far. It is reasonably comprehensive and should give you a good start.

CamaroGuy87132
03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
PM me with your email and I will send you the document I have compiled thus far. It is reasonably comprehensive and should give you a good start.

Sent. Thanks a lot.

bigluelok
03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
wow i really need to step my game up and start practicing my detailing now

imported_Luster
03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
One of the reasons it`s called detailing is that the details are important. A few areas that are often missed, but the owner will always notice are:

Door jambs

Hinges

Wheel wells

Tires

Engine bay / trunk "jambs"

Carpets with nice fresh "stripes"

I`ve had many "WOW"s from customers just based on those items. Yes the shine of the paint was better too, but it`s those little extras that really make them notice.

Also, give them a little more than they ask for, at no extra charge...

One other thing... I usually give first timers a new MF towel (Costco) and a hard candy mint on their console.

Last thing... don`t get burned out by doing too many too fast! It happens...:2thumbs:

CamaroGuy87132
03-24-2008, 04:24 PM
One of the reasons it`s called detailing is that the details are important. A few areas that are often missed, but the owner will always notice are:

Door jambs

Hinges

Wheel wells

Tires

Engine bay / trunk "jambs"

Carpets with nice fresh "stripes"

I`ve had many "WOW"s from customers just based on those items. Yes the shine of the paint was better too, but it`s those little extras that really make them notice.

Also, give them a little more than they ask for, at no extra charge...

One other thing... I usually give first timers a new MF towel (Costco) and a hard candy mint on their console.

Last thing... don`t get burned out by doing too many too fast! It happens...:2thumbs:

Thanks for the tips. What are some good products for starting off?

imported_Luster
03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the tips. What are some good products for starting off?

There are many fine products out there. Just do some looking around in this forum and decide for yourself. I`m a Zaino guy, so that`s what I would recommend, but everyone has their own opinion of what`s best.

deathlok
03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
if you want to stick to one brand you should check meguiars. All meguiars are at least decent products and its line cover all the tasks that a detail enables.

Accumulator
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
What are some good products for starting off?

My #1 recommendation for people just starting to get serious about this stuff is to use 1Z brand polish topped with Collinite brand wax. It`s incredibly user-friendly and the results are good (good enough that I use that combo on some of our vehicles even though I have all sorts of stuff on the shelf).

I`ve recommended this countless times and I can`t recall any negative feedback. It`s not the most exotic approach but it works. Once you`re more advanced you can consider all sorts of alternative approaches (heh heh, I pretty much do something different on all our vehicles; it`s possible to get very, very specific/particular about what a given vehicle needs, but don`t worry about that for now).