PDA

View Full Version : Polishing tommorow -- Need help determing what NOT to polish.

Pages : [1] 2

Neofate
03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
I basically need to know what is safe to polish on this car, and what isn`t. What dictates trim?

If I didn`t ask, I would polish all painted surfaces, but when someone mentions `trim` that includes painted surfaces. So which do I avoid?

In the following post, I mention the front bumper, which is of a different material than the rest of the vehicle, as is the rear bumper. What about the areas beneath the doors?

Just a little question on `trim` .. plastics and whatnot.

I`m sure you guys are familiar with the Lexus LS 400 series of cars.. this is a 1994.

Here is a shot of the front bumper/grill.

http://webpages.charter.net/jaredguess/front.JPG

I thought I could polish that bumper, all of it, top to bottom (aside from grill of course) -- But I`m thinking twice about it now. Should I tape it off now?

The rear is similar material so no point in posting that picture.

Thanks,

imported_JoshVette
03-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Just tape off all the chrome trim as well as all the black trim painted or not as you don`t want to burn anything due to shape angles....

I also tape off weather stripping and lights and such, anything the buffer pad can abraid.

Josh

Neofate
03-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Just tape off all the chrome trim as well as all the black trim painted or not as you don`t want to burn anything due to shape angles....

I also tape off weather stripping and lights and such, anything the buffer pad can abraid.

Josh

So basically don`t do the front and rear bumpers?

I will tape chrome, around windows, etc.. I guess the main question if I`m not doing the bumpers.. Is should I do the middle (wide) spot on the bumper , front, in picture, the section where the front license plate is? Or is that material not acceptable, or wouldn`t make any difference being polished?

If that can be polished so can the wide section on rear bumper, but no need in polishing underneath where the paint curves under car (where you can`t see, and hard to get to in a manner of speaking).

Also was curious about my sides. Tell me based on this picture what should be taped off on the side of this car:

IE: Notice the panel below the doors on side.. ??

Gives you a better look at the bumper -- it is actually all the same material on the horizontal panel just under the grille (lexus emblem) to the ground on bumper. Which is why I need to know if I can polish this, or if I need to leave it be and just clean/wax it like normal.

As you can see, there isn`t alot of black trim on the car -- There is a chrome strip then around the windows -- Other than that, nothing.. What am I missing? ;)

http://webpages.charter.net/jaredguess/nxt2-1.jpg

Thanks

imported_JoshVette
03-24-2008, 12:43 AM
If I were polishing that car with a rotary, I would tape off the headlights, parking lights, chrome around grill and bumpers, all chrome trim, washer tips on hood, taillights and black trim and that`s probably it.

Yes, polish the every part of the front and rear bumpers, why would you not?

Josh

Neofate
03-24-2008, 02:23 AM
Polishing with a UDM.

But, lost in translation is all -- Asked this question twice and get specific about the bumpers but your the first to answer it.

Got conflicting indirect answers on it.

I figure its a painted surface, so polish it --

But, it isn`t metal,.. So I ask. It is plastic or fiberglass. Yet still painted.. it looks different than the rest of the car because of this material. First time to polish so I didn`t want to start on a bumper then all of the sudden burn a hole through it because of some `no no` with a DA on Plastic type materials. Just covering my bases is all.

Thanks for the tips on what specificaly to tape off, I think I`m good on that one - I won`t be hitting the headlights and such.. but I will tape about 2inches into them,.. Hard not to avoid a little scraping, but I don`t think I`ll slip to the middle of it..

They aren`t plastic though, Glass headlights on the LS 400 in that generation, not that , that makes any difference.

Oh and people say don`t polish trim parts -- Well, trim doesn`t have to be `black` technically, and trim can be on the bottom parts of your vehicle, in can manifest anywhere really depending on the vehicle. So I wasn`t sure if something counted as `trim` on this car --other than the black/chrome areas.

By your response there is no other trim aside from the chrome and little black portions by my windows.

To get specific.. on the bumpers they are curved,.. that going to pose a problem? (Even in the middle it is a curve). Should I go underneath the bumpers towards the exhaust (bumper in rear is molded around exhaust) - And under front lip? Or do most of you just avoid these with polish because you can`t really see them unless you get a flash light and get on the ground. ?

I figure wash/clay and sealant/wax is enough for parts that aren`t seen..

I almost consider that enough for the intricate and lowest parts of the bumpers,.. I know I won`t be doing the seperation in the lower part of the front bumper,.. can`t get it in the grooves, and probably risk some damage if I try.

I`ll manage though -- But please answer the remaining questions in this message if you can.

Lastly -- You see what the car looks like from my efforts by hand, (just got my UDM and polishes recently) -- Will the car look dramatically better with a properly applied XMT #3, XMT #1, XMT Glaze,.. then the sealant/wax with UDM?

Or is it going to look just about the same to everyone, but if you put a halogen light on it you won`t see the swirls you can`t see in normal light?

Thanks for all the help

White lexus 23
03-24-2008, 02:25 AM
agreed josh. i would do the same and just tape everything off.

Accumulator
03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Neofate- Non-rotaries are mighty easy to control...I doubt that I`d tape off *anything* on that Lexus. Depends on the polish too though as some will stain black plastic/rubber trim (and others like 1Z won`t stain anything and can be used on such materials).

Unless the chrome is very thin I`d just polish it.

I`d do all the painted surfaces, bumpercovers and all. If you`re worried turn the speed down. I`d do the headlights too.

I`d polish the areas you can`t do by machine too; I`d do `em by hand.

*The one thing I do encourage everybody to tape off every time is the clear-anodized trim on Audis, it`s very fragile*

Nice car, I like the look of those early LS series cars.

imported_JoshVette
03-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Well for using a UDM I wouldn`t tape off much except for the black trim.

Matter of fact you can polish the headlights also, I didn`t know what machine you were using, you never said till now.

I`ll be honest with you, if you have all these kinds of questions and have never buffed a car before with the UDM I wouldn`t start on a customers car, you should have practiced on your own first and got the hang of it. :wall

I am slapping you on the rist for that..... but I`m sure you`ll do fine, the UDM is easy.:chuckle:

Josh

ricka
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I have an `07 Audi A6 and will be polishing with a PC. The anodized trim...is it the thin metal around the windows? If so, I will tape off to be sure.

Using the PC and Optimum Polish.

Thanks for the advice.

Neofate
03-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Well for using a UDM I wouldn`t tape off much except for the black trim.

Matter of fact you can polish the headlights also, I didn`t know what machine you were using, you never said till now.

I`ll be honest with you, if you have all these kinds of questions and have never buffed a car before with the UDM I wouldn`t start on a customers car, you should have practiced on your own first and got the hang of it. :wall

I am slapping you on the rist for that..... but I`m sure you`ll do fine, the UDM is easy.:chuckle:

Josh

I`ll still tape my chrome for the heck of it,.. just to be safe --

I have all these questions cause I`m an inqusitive person :) _- I know the general answers and could have gotten by without any answers, but where is the fun in that? ;)

Oh and it isn`t a customers car,.. it is my car! Although I will be doing others after my own of course.

Accumulator
03-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I have an `07 Audi A6 and will be polishing with a PC. The anodized trim...is it the thin metal around the windows? If so, I will tape off to be sure.

Using the PC and Optimum Polish.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, that`s what I mean, it`s the "brightwork" on recent-vintage Audis.

The paint will probably be too hard for the OP/PC combo, even if you use 4" pads. Just a FYI so you don`t get too frustrated ;) When I use OP on our Audis, it`s the middle one of three steps.

ricka
03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, that`s what I mean, it`s the "brightwork" on recent-vintage Audis.

The paint will probably be too hard for the OP/PC combo, even if you use 4" pads. Just a FYI so you don`t get too frustrated ;) When I use OP on our Audis, it`s the middle one of three steps.

That`s what I`ve read too. But as mentioned, there`s hardly any marring so far on the paint and it`s even less noticeable with the silver metallic.

I`ll give it a go and see what happens. Tried the PC last night applying some DWG. Very, very easy to use and manipulate. There are some family cars that can certainly use some sprucing up though.

Thanks much.

Neofate
03-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Well I did it. -- I ended up using only the XMT #3 -- After I finished with that the paint was corrected, and looked like it had been waxed. I saw no need for a `ultra fine swirl remover` -- I was going to use the Ultra (#1 XMT) as a finishing polish because I figured with an orange pad and the #3 it would be somewhat hazy. It wasn`t.

Anyone used XMT 3 before?

It took me 7 full hours to polish with just the XMT 3 -- Too long I know, but I was going as fast as I possibly could.

My technique was,.. apply polish to pad,.. Dab spaced out areas, then spread with UDM off. I would then kick it on to 3, and move it quickly to spread the polish.

From there, I would go to about 5`ish and go VERY slow `working` it in. I would do this `slow` process only ONE pass. Then I would make another pass moving about 2-3times as fast. Then I would kick it up to maximum, 6 -- and run it over a few times with no pressure on the pad at all. (Then of course wipe off with Micro).

I was moving from panel to panel, and doing fairly large sections to try and save time.

What can I do to polish a car in half that time?

Maybe I was moving too slow -- I just thought you had to really creep it on your first pass. If I moved at a somewhat faster rate, I could cut time.

Does it really matter on speed of hand motion, if the polish breaks down?

Also, is it better to go to 6 instead of 5 to break down the polish faster? Or no?

I applied NXT 2.0 with the Grey pad, Lake (Smartpad). That pad was huge, and wasted alot of the NXT 2.0 -- It soaks up alot of it.

Speaking of pads -- I got the 4 `free` Orange pads from autogeek with my purchase of XMT. These pads work, but they suck on durability.

I had one pad completely get trashed. I suspect from a little bit of `angle` work I did on the front bumper, but the pad was caked,.. and after half the car or so I noticed it looked like it was about to come off -- It was lifting itself away from the UDM, (but velcro was tight).

So I turned off the UDM. The foam was coming undone from the velcro all around it. Yeesh. I switched to another one of the freebies, and finished the car -- and was able to wash that one and salvage it.

Though when I used the Lake Smartpad for wax, I could tell that it was a MUCH better pad in durability than those free pads. (Not sure on the brand of the freebies).

I have pictures -- Just not quite through with the detail, .. have some interior stuff to finish up. Then get a picture out in the sunlight.

I was thoroughly impressed with the paint correction -- Not so much removal of swirls,. as my color doesn`t show them too much -- But on the `feel` of the paint and the reflectivity/shine after buffing.

It felt smoother than when waxed, and shined more than it ever had.

I almost was afraid to wax it to lose some luster.

And quite frankly, the NXT 2.0 I put on made no noticeable difference in the shine from just being polished.

Which is odd, usually the NXT 2.0 is the `bling` -- Instead it is almost like an invisible protectant now.

Which makes me think, maybe I need some of that DWG -- the stuff that you use a little and cover the car.. that makes it shine/luster/look wet (goes on after sealant I believe).

Neofate
03-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I just thought of this.

I worked well into the night on the polish.

It was 30 degree`s outside, and I had the garage door open while polishing. Was very cold. I know this has an effect, but does it have a major effect on the polishing time?

Setec Astronomy
03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
It just takes a lot of time to polish with a UDM or a PC. And yes, most of the "gleam" is going to come from the polishing, not from the LSP.