PDA

View Full Version : Door Jams, whats your process

Pages : [1] 2

imageautodetail
03-23-2008, 05:34 PM
I use a steamer on the bad ones or APC and wipe on the ones that arent that bad, curious to what others do

TTWAGN
03-23-2008, 05:44 PM
I dont worry about swirls due to the fact its hard to get a reflection to see them.

I just use a normal microfibre cloth with a spray bottle of liquid. Nearly all the cars i detail have pretty average door jams so i always use APC as the liquid.

On my car every 6 months i will apply a coat of aquawax.

imported_Puckman
03-23-2008, 06:23 PM
I generally use P21S TAW and a MF towel dedicated to door jambs. I then use Zaino All In One to clean them up a bit and add a little protection. I also do them while I`m waiting for an LSP to set up on the vehicle and kill time by doing this, wheel well dressing, tire dressing etc. i.e. I don`t get to them until almost last.

Joseph K
03-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I use a couple half-way worn out MF towels on door/trunk jams only, and I just use an all purpose cleaner diluted a little... on ones that are already clean (mine), I just use a MF towel and the water that is in the jams from washing.

Accumulator
03-23-2008, 07:47 PM
I dont worry about swirls due to the fact its hard to get a reflection to see them..

A lot of vehicles don`t have clear applied over the basecoat in areas like this. This does mean that the might not shine up quite as well as the rest of the vehicle, but I find that a mulitple-grade polishing job can work wonders.

jshillin
03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I used ONR and dress with OS, I have a steamer now, so I plan to start using it.

Macruz19
03-24-2008, 07:47 AM
When I dry my car after washing.. I just use an old MF WW and wipe them dry. I don`t really wax or seal them, but usually it`s very clean and shiny!

Jesstzn
03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Woolite Solution and cheap dedicated M/F towels seem to deal with all but the super greased up ones..

Got to love techs who spray lube all over thinging some might just get IN the hinge.

xhaust50
03-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I just use QEW and old MF`s. Finish with a QD or aquawax.

imported_Luster
03-24-2008, 10:04 AM
If the hinges are dirty/greasy, I usually saturate them with a de-greaser, clean up with some demoted MF`s, dry and apply a very small amount of WD-40 as needed.

For the jambs themselves, I usually will wipe them with an old MF and some detail spray after I wash...

Door jambs are something that`s easy to overlook, but it`s the first thing people notice when they get in your car... ("Wow, this car looks like new!"...clean jambs will bring that comments every time!) :bow :bow :bow

GatorJ
05-04-2008, 06:23 AM
If the hinges are dirty/greasy, I usually saturate them with a de-greaser, clean up with some demoted MF`s, dry and apply a very small amount of WD-40 as needed.

For the jambs themselves, I usually will wipe them with an old MF and some detail spray after I wash...

Door jambs are something that`s easy to overlook, but it`s the first thing people notice when they get in your car... ("Wow, this car looks like new!"...clean jambs will bring that comments every time!) :bow :bow :bow

WD40 is not the appropriate product to use for lubricating door hinges.

David Fermani
05-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Anyone ever have the need to powerwash a door jamb? On some vehicles that are bad, wiping with APC won`t work.

abbeysdad
05-04-2008, 07:17 AM
I wash my ride with ONR so I just open the doors and do the jams with it, then sometimes use a spray on wipe off like AW (ONR by itself leaves a nice shine/coating).

On other cars that haven`t been treated so well, I just spray with APC (Simple Green) and wipe down. I generally don`t mess with the actual hinge so as not to remove any lube - a noisy door hinge is an aweful thing.

scott2314
05-04-2008, 07:32 AM
When I dry after a wash, I hit them with a wax-as-u-dry, and dedicated mf.

howareb
05-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Anyone ever have the need to powerwash a door jamb? On some vehicles that are bad, wiping with APC won`t work.

Been there David. Did I like doing it? No.

All that I can say is that you need precision accuracy. :)