PDA

View Full Version : ***DURABILITY??? COLLINITE vs. SEALANT***

imported_magnum
03-23-2008, 04:44 PM
So what do you think - if looking for price effective durablility for my daily driver which is an 2005 NISSAN that I want the most protection possible from scratching/chipping/road contaminants/rain/ect.... would you go with COLLINITE or a SEALANT?

I have never used collinite, almost EVERYONE tells me how great it is, how under-rated it is, and how DURABLE it is. For you seasoned junkies - would you say that collinite would hold up more than a paint sealant, and if so how much more or less? I was going to use either Klasse KG sealant or most likely the new NXT 2.0 for cost purposes. The reason I ask this question is that I know collinite is a carnuba and from what I understand is that a good paint sealant are better for durability/protection. So why so many suggestions and comments on colllinite?

I am eager to see what you think!

wannafbody
03-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Collinite is more durable than the average paint sealant. It is a good choice and inexpensive. Duragloss 105 or 111 are good choices as well.

imported_magnum
03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
what about sun protection. I live in VA and damn these summers are hot. My car is kept outside and NO shade. would you still recommend collinite? or better to go with a sealant for the UV than a carnuba?

imported_magnum
03-23-2008, 06:49 PM
is there any benefit of going with DG 105 then topcoat collinite 845? is that a good system or should i still use a pre-wax cleaner, then just topcoat with either of these two products? price is important also.

KnuckleBuckett
03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Is Collinite more durable than UPGP?

Accumulator
03-23-2008, 08:10 PM
what about sun protection. I live in VA and damn these summers are hot. My car is kept outside and NO shade. would you still recommend collinite? or better to go with a sealant for the UV than a carnuba?

I realize that my input might not be what you`re after as I`ve already given my $0.02 about Collinite on other threads. But with all the different LSPs I`ve used on our various vehicles, I really do think I`m in a position to offer pretty solid, objective info on how Collinite compares to other products.

When I still had my old Volvo wagon, I parked it outside and its single-stage paint would let me know when it wasn`t adequately protected. I did better with Collinite on it that I did with sealants, it was obvious from the oxidation/etc. effect that the single-stage readily evidenced.

Note that there`s something in Collinite besides just the carnauba. Their 845 supposedly contains "resins" but I don`t know *what* all is in their paste waxes. I suspect that their products are more of a wax-sealant-hybrid than a "regular wax".

FWIW, I do quite a bit better durability-wise with the 476S/885 paste than I do with the 845, but it`s right up there with most sealants too.

I`d use *some* kind of cleaner or mildly abrasive polish. I can`t imagine that it wouldn`t benefit from the polishing in a big way.

Collinite is very cost-effective, one can oughta last you for years if only used on one or two vehicles.

But *nothing* will provide any protection agains chips. Also, the resistance to marring comes from the way Collinite sheds dirt readily (meaning you can wash gently), not from any protective film-effect; waxes and sealants are too thin/pliable to provide significant protection of that sort. The big trick is to not mar it when you wash, that`s where most damage comes from IMO.

hal1
03-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Collinite is more durable than the average paint sealant.

476s or 845. I suppose the 476 is more durable, but I like giving a coat every 3 months or so, so I use the 845 IW.

Your thoughts?

wannafbody
03-23-2008, 08:37 PM
845 is easier to work with. 476 is more durable.

SuperBee364
03-24-2008, 08:48 AM
If you do want to *try* a sealant, though, you would be hard pressed to find one that`s more durable or offers more environmental protection than Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Honestly, I was extremely skeptical about this stuff. I tried it thinking that I would be able to give it a good honest ream job (similar to my past rants about that worthless Z product. Oh, yes... I *did* go there!! ; ) ) but instead, I was beyond impressed. Three coats of UPGP, and you are *protected*. And for a long time, too.

Accumulator knows his stuff, and if he says Collinite is tops for a durable, environmentally protecting wax, you can be sure it`s true. But for a bunch more cash, you can also do it with UPGP.

(And for the Zainoites that just did a spit take with your morning coffee... relax. We still love you, and your Zaino.... ok, maybe just you.) ;)

99blackSE
03-24-2008, 09:23 AM
With a maintenance wash once every week or second week 476 for the most part lasted me from November up until recently (car was written off). It did succumb a bit on the lowest portions of the doors but I just touched it up those parts with QW+ as needed to keep some protection. It was still beading nice though.

SilverSeven
03-24-2008, 09:47 AM
For me Collinite 476S lasted longer than any sealant I have. :)