PDA

View Full Version : Foam gun and tire cleaners?

bwalker25
03-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Just curious, can you use a foam gun and put tire cleaners in it and have all your favorite tire/wheel cleaners become foaminized? (foaminized is not a word but looks cool)

ajnavo61490
03-23-2008, 08:35 AM
foamed* ;)

bwalker25
03-23-2008, 08:39 AM
yah like sprayed out and look like foam, and cling better to wheels/rims etc?

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2008, 09:08 AM
I`m not sure exactly what products you are referring to, but since you mentioned wheel cleaners, I would NOT put any wheel cleaners which contain HF or ABF into a foam gun. If you use other acid or caustic wheel cleaners, please be very careful about incidental splashing of these onto you, shrubbery, or other non-wheel surfaces of your car or house.

Also note that wheel cleaners are usually not meant to be diluted (except in the case of some of the HF/ABF types), so that may reduce their cleaning power, and that use of more corrosive cleaners my accelerate corrosion of the brass parts of the foam gun, which means you should follow the directions and flush with clean water after use (which I never do for regular car shampoo).

On the other hand, the foam gun`s main market is for industrial/food preparation cleaning and sanitizing, so people certainly use it with some strong stuff, although germ-killing chemicals are certainly different than brake dust-eating chemicals.

Accumulator
03-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Some sorta random thoughts follow:

Many wheel/tire cleaners are sorta low-sudsing IME, dunno how foamy/clingy they`d get if aerated by the foamgun. I wouldn`t expect much myself, but that`s just a guess.

I find it hard enough to keep wheel/tire cleaners off surfaces where I don`t want them, no way I`d want to spray them with the foamgun.

I`d only try this with products that won`t do damage (e.g., Griot`s or P21S wheel cleaners). No way I`d try it with an acidic cleaner.

I`d want a dedicated foamgun for such work, rather than trying to clean it out thoroughly.

Most of the wheel/rubber cleanrs I`ve used worked OK diluted, but they did get *very* mild, and that might not be desired.

bwalker25
03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I`ll have to make a video of my efforts when I do try this, its colder today than yesterday so I wont be finishing up my wifes car, maybe i`ll just re do everything on her car after my new zaino and ag order arrives! I am sure going to try it and see what happens :)

BigAl3
03-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I would NOT put any wheel cleaners which contain HF or ABF into a foam gun.

agreed......

2KLS1
03-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Just buy a foam sprayer, they`re like two or three bucks.

bwalker25
03-23-2008, 06:58 PM
the $39.99 foamaster II from amazon.com is that the internal brass one or the all plastic one?

Chris@Optimum
03-23-2008, 07:25 PM
I use this for APC and Wheel Cleaner:

Grainger Industrial Supply: Sprayer,Trigger 3U603 (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?operator=keywordSearch&search_type=keyword&QueryString=foam+sprayer)

jordanrossbell
03-24-2008, 01:21 AM
I would have to think that these chemicals would cause premature wear of the foamgun???? I wouldnt do it...i know autodetailingsolutions has an actual foaming trigger spray head that i have seen in person produce a good foam with Meg`s APC...

BlackElantraGT
03-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Just buy a foam sprayer, they`re like two or three bucks.

+1

Not only would it be much cheaper, but you`d get better results (i.e. more clingy foam) and a more effective product than diluting it down with a foam gun.

I have a foam sprayer from ADS

http://autodetailingsolutions.com/640foam.jpg

and 2 cheap sprayers from Sam`s Club

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/Rezerected/DSC01818.jpg

If any of the sprayers go bad, I can easily replace it with another for a few bucks at most.

bwalker25
03-24-2008, 07:52 AM
nice! I like the cheap sprayer, much better than me ruining a 40$ gilmour

I will go pick some of these up today or tomorrow :) thank you blackelantragt

thanks everyone :)