PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding Problems?!?!?!? HELP!!

TEGBOY
03-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Hi all,

I have come to visit my parents over the Easter break, so naturally I thought I would be a good son and give my Mum`s car a nice wash and detail.

I bought the car for her brand new Christmas last year, its a 2007 Mazda 3 SP23 in Carbon Grey Mica. Paint was sealed from day one with Zaino Z5/5 and CS. Mum mentioned there was a chip on the bonnet, I had a look at it, could feel it with a finger nail, so I need some wetsanding would be in order. Mum had already ordered a jar of touch-up paint.

So I prepped the surface, filled the scratch in. All going well. I started to wetsand with 2000 grit paper, it nicely knocked the paint bubble down, it would have only been 5-7 light passes. When I wiped away the excess lube, I could see what appeared to be sealer?!? I freaked at this point. :shocked :shocked I mean it was only 2000grit paper, that was highly lubed and had been soaked for 4 hours in washing solution. I busted out my PC, and removed all the surface marring from the wetsanding, however this light grey spot remains. Could I have gone too far? I mean I cannot detect by touch difference in feel from the paint, to the marred surface, you cannot feel it with a finger nail.

What do I do? Mum said not to worry as it doesn`t worry her, but I am naturally concerned. Do I re-prep the area and use a more thinned down touchup solution to try and blend in the marred area? Or, do I try and get an airbrush so I can more finely blend the paint. :soscared: :soscared:

Sorry, I don`t have pics, my camera is back at my house 2 states away.

Ideas, thoughts? I honestly would have never thought highly lubricated 2000 grit with only a few light passes could go to bare metal or primer??

Ignition
03-23-2008, 05:50 AM
If the paint is very soft and thin then it is possible.

PTG would help you to see if the readings are the same all over the car.

imported_bpfoley
03-23-2008, 08:04 AM
mazda paint is very very thin

Accumulator
03-23-2008, 01:08 PM
mazda paint is very very thin

Yep. The paint on my MPV is so thin that I do *NOT* wetsand touchups; it`s hard enough to not wear through it with the PC and mild products.

tegboy- I dunno what to recommend, it might be easy to make things worse instead of better :nixweiss On the spot where I went through the clear on my MPV I had the area spotted in (color and clear) by a good shop.

You learned the hard way that 2000 isn`t as mild as one might think. I greatly prefer 2500, 3000, or even 4000 myself.

TEGBOY
03-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks all for the advise. I have indeed messed up. Mum said she really doesn`t care. I think I will just pay for it to be resprayed, I just hope the paint shop can match the colour accurately.

I have to admit I now hate the Mazda paint, I loved the colour when I bought it. However, it marrs and marks so easily.

Next car, will not be a Mazda, hopefully it will have euro badge.