PDA

View Full Version : Combo for White

Mik
07-28-2005, 08:15 PM
I am about to detail my white GTR which is basically a garage queen. There are a few very, very fine swirls, but not many as I did the whole car in SSR2.5 about 6 months ago

My plan is as follows:

1) SSR1 with white LC polishing pad
2) PwC with white LC polishing pad (or PP, see below)
3) EXP with grey LC finishing pad
4) Natty`s by hand with megs foam applicator
5) QD when needed with Crystal Mist

Anyone have any suggestions/comments?

Would I be better to go over some areas with SSR2 and a cutting pad as needed before the SSR1?

Will the EXP stick to the canuba left by the PwC, or would it be better to use PP instead?

How long should I leave the EXP before applying Natty`s? I`m planning to do it the next day.

GregCavi
07-28-2005, 08:23 PM
My thoughts:

I would go with SSR2 as SSR1 doesnt do a whole lot via pc for swirl removal. From what steve has told me about PwC and EXP bonding, yes it will work but he always says that a sealant will last the longest when applied to clean paint with nothing else on it. I assume that would mean you would go from an ssr to the EXP. If it is a garage queen then you dont need to worry about longevity of the sealant. I would do 2 coats of EXP for even coverage. Each coat should be 24 hours apart. You can apply nattys 24 hours after the last coat of sealant. SO as far as PP or PwC, I think it will be personal preference on the look. I have only tried PwC and I really like it. If you have blue PwC I would suggest that.

Greg

bsdsys_x86
07-28-2005, 08:23 PM
From what I was told sealants don`t work well ontop of carnuba but in your case the PwC will work fine with EX-P on top and you after you apply the sealant, wait an hour, take it off, 24 hours later put another coat on if you like, 24 hours later you can choose to add the natty`s if you like and 24 hours between coats of nattys. I think you will like the look of this combo on white. I did. Only reason you would want to do the ssr2 step is if it needs it and then you would follow up with ssr1. HTH`s

tubafeak
07-28-2005, 11:33 PM
I really like how my white Taurus turned out. Here`s what I used:

Many passes of 2.5 w/PC @ 4 to start, 6 to finish (LC orange)
Pro Polish w/ LC white
UPP w/ LC black
#16 X5 w/ LC black or by hand, WOWO (unless you`re crazy :LOLOL )

I probably didn`t need 5 layers of #16, but I just kept putting it on. I was on a break from school and I had nothing better to do. That was in March, the car is still beading like crazy with no extra wax and touch-up washes/S&W every week or so. I`ve gotta clean out my local Ace Hardware of it`s #16, I love it and wish that Megs hadn`t discontinued it. Oh well.