PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Buick GN

QuickBuick87
03-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Hi all.....Just got my Grand National out of the shop with a new base coat/clear coat paint job. I was told NOT to wax it for at least 3 months. My question is what would be a good `first wax` product for the new finish? I`m kinda leaning for the Zaino line of products, but i`m getting different feedback as to what would be best for the new paint. I`m new here so I really do not no what to use. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Ken B.

gmblack3
03-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Ken, Welcome and congrats on your new paint job. I would suggest Zaino ZAIO, Z5pro and Z8.

David Fermani
03-22-2008, 08:08 AM
I`d make sure that all the body shop swirls are polished out 1st and then seal it. There`s nothing better than a GN with nice paint. These cars had some of the worst quality paint to ever come off an assembly line. Lots of spots were so thin that you could see the brown primer showing through. Probably one of the most challenging finishes to correct without breaking through too. I`d love to see some pictures. I miss seeing these cars on the road. The absolute ultimate collector car.

littlemissGTO
03-22-2008, 08:18 AM
My friend has 3 of them, and I swear they keep my busy. All have the original paint on them. Can you say PITA? Man they look awesome when they`re clean though.

I use Zaino as well as a few other products. What your choice boils down to is personal preference. Find something that works for well for you and stick with it. Best is a very subjective word. I`d suggest picking up some Zaino (since that`s what you`re leaning towards) and giving that a try. If you don`t like it then look for something else. Zaino works and it works will. Just remember that prep work will determine if you have a nice smooth wet looking surface. If you apply Zaino (or any other product) on top of blemishes/defects you`ll have shiny blemishes/defects.

red4.8
03-22-2008, 08:40 AM
[quote name=`littlemissGTO`]My friend has 3 of them, and I swear they keep my busy. All have the original paint on them. Can you say PITA? Man they look awesome when they`re clean though.

I use Zaino as well as a few other products. What your choice boils down to is personal preference. Find something that works for well for you and stick with it. Best is a very subjective word. I`d suggest picking up some Zaino (since that`s what you`re leaning towards) and giving that a try. If you don`t like it then look for something else. Zaino works and it works will. Just remember that prep work will determine if you have a nice smooth wet looking surface. If you apply Zaino (or any other product) on top of blemishes/defects you`ll have shiny blemishes/defects.[/Q

UOTE]

.........+1...............

simracer
03-22-2008, 09:01 AM
You won`t be disappointed with Zaino, it`s my main go to product line. But there are lots of terrific product lines out there.

But all that aside...yes, absolutely. Let`s see the pics! :)

I used to drive down to the Thunder Valley 1/4 mile track in Noble, OK for the annual Buick / Ford shootout. More GN`s that you could shake a stick at...and a few Turbo T/As too! Lots of fun hearing those hairdryers spool up at the line.

QuickBuick87
03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Hopefully pics come out. Still have to attach some trim, emblems, and detail tires/rims, but pics speak for themselves. Thanks for all the replys!!

Only pics of new paint are when car was brought back to the house.

QuickBuick87
03-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I`ll post some more pics within the next few days......

Ken B. :)

Scottwax
03-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Black car? You might be happier with a combo like Clearkote`s Red Machine Glaze and Carnauba Moose Wax. It will give you a rich, deep look that IMO, you just cannot yet get from sealants.

Nice car, bet it is a blast to drive. :)