PDA

View Full Version : best way to use the foam gun?

nmxdaven
03-21-2008, 06:10 PM
I`m going to be using detailers pride xtreme foam with my foammaster 2 and I want to know the best way to prevent marring. Is it ok to spread the foam over each section and then follow up with a mitt? Or should I use the two bucket method and just have the foam gun as a presoak?

Thanks!

SilverSeven
03-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I usually use the foamaster this way. First I will presoak a section at a time, then one hand using the foamaster to spray onto the panel and the other hand using the wash mitt to wash the panel tht I presoaked. Then move onto another panel with the same technique. :)

MrNorwall
03-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Do you just keep a bucket of clean water to rinse your mitt in every 2 panesl or so?

ptaylor_9849
03-29-2008, 07:41 AM
You are going to love DP Extreme Foam. It will cover your car in a blanket of foam.

Patrick

nmxdaven
03-29-2008, 07:48 AM
DP is something else. I used both PB S&S and Gold Class in the foam gun, but DP is way ahead of both.

MrNorwall: Thats what I`ve been doing. Seems to work good so far, but the foamgun does eat through allot of product.

Accumulator
03-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Check out my thread "Accumulator`s Non-marring Wash Technique" in the Hall of Fame Forum. IIRC the info you`re after is on the second page.

Generally, the idea is to spray the foamgun output at the point where the wash medium contacts the paint so it can provide constant lubrication and flushing- "dislodge and flush".

With a BHB the foamgun will keep things rinsed pretty clean, but with a mitt I`d rinse it out numerous times per panel; once dirt is stuck to the mitt it can cause marring.

When I get my technique right, my rinse bucket hardly has *any* dirt in it even at the end of a winter-nasty wash. This tells me that the dirt wasn`t stuck to my wash media, which could have caused marring when it got moved across the paint. I have to use a BHB for the initial pass(es) as it does the "dislodge and flush" thing a lot better than a mitt will. Even after doing the initial pass(es) with the BHB, I rinse my mitt out quite often; I never go a whole panel before I rinse it out.

D_Nyholm
04-02-2008, 12:46 PM
So with this method, we need to wear waders!!! Or at least rubber boots up to my knees!! :laugh:

Saintlysins
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
OH - Yeah ... You`re going to get wet the first couple times, but in short order you’ll be able to adjust the angle and pressure of foam spray between the panel and brush/mitt without too much slop, spray or waste. Of course ... you can just do this in the nude ... that`s called multi-tasking! :2thumbs: My neighbors love it. :soscared:

Alright ... I`ll stop ... but "ACCUMULATORS" procedure is what I do for any heavily soiled paint surface. I learned the (BHB) brush technique from him here on this site a looong time ago, and I`ve been in this industry for years. It`s remarkably efficient .

Accumulator
04-03-2008, 01:07 PM
D_Nyholm- As noted, it really doesn`t make for a wet mess. A big part of doing it "correctly" is having the foamgun output under careful control, and it really doesn`t get on you much at all. I`m able to wash in an overcrowded shop with cars (that I don`t want to get wet!) parked pretty close the wash bay, and I have more problems with the regular garden hose rinse than I do with the actual washing using the foamgun.

..["ACCUMULATORS" procedure is]... remarkably efficient .

Well, I`d probably label it more "effective" than "efficient" as it`s a PIA and takes me a good long time, but anyhow I`m glad it`s working for you :D And hey, it`s very gratifying when I`m able to suggest something new and useful to experienced people like you.