PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ shiny dash

Pages : [1] 2

mnguyen110
03-21-2008, 12:43 AM
My dash is black and I hate the glare that i get from the protectant/dressing. I`ve tried Megs Natural Shine, Megs QID, 303, & 1Z CP but still get the glare. I did an 1:8 apc+ wipedown and dash is still shiny. Is there anything else I can try?

Anomaly
03-21-2008, 01:05 AM
I`ve been a fan of using the Meguiar`s Gold Class Dash and Trim Foam Protectant.

I apply the product to my applicator/cloth and wipe onto/into the dash. The looks is not a high shine, but has `some` gloss.

Zq8sdime
03-21-2008, 01:26 AM
I use megs quick detail wipes, it cleans great and has no glare what so ever.

metal
03-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Could just be the nature of your dash plastics. I know on some cars its pretty much shiny with whatever you put on it, even with nothing sometimes.

mnguyen110
03-21-2008, 11:54 AM
I guess its hopeless since after the apc it is still pretty shiny

Zq8sdime
03-21-2008, 12:12 PM
What kind of car is it?

NSXTASY
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Was a protectant/product applied that is the cause of the glare, and you are unable to remove said product? or are you looking for a product to make a glossy surface look dull?

1Z CP and Megs IQD both have little, if any added gloss.

If you are trying to remove a previous product, you may need something stronger, like a degreaser. You could try simple green at 25/30:1. Caution.

mnguyen110
03-21-2008, 02:32 PM
my car is a toyota avalon and i am trying to get the stuff off the dash. I will try the degreaser. it there a product that would darken the dash and not make it glossy?

2002 Z06
03-21-2008, 02:33 PM
I just wipe all my interior down with Double Duty.

jordanrossbell
03-21-2008, 02:37 PM
APC should bring the gloss down to as low as it is going to be....i would put a protectant on anyway...meguiar`s gold class vinyl/rubber protectant is the lowest matte shine i have seen to date

MrNorwall
03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Simple green is no degreasor, its an apc, i use it on dash and door panels to clean diluted 10:1

SVR
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Perhaps prepsol or IPA alcohol would do it

Zq8sdime
03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Once you get it off id try the megs qid, i use the wipes version and it offers no gloss at all, i dont know if it really darkens much as my dash is black.

bwalker25
03-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I had a problem once that windex/simple green/purple power and all that wouldn`t get something off the windshield in a customers car. I tried everything short of polishing it, I used Stoners Invisible Glass and what ever it was that the APC/degreasers wouldn`t touch melted right off

Try Stoners IG, just to note I used alcohol wipe down as well and it just made matters worse, mind you this was on glass and not a dash board, but hey...

I stand behind stoners IG, its amazing at glass give it a shot on the dash, might suprise you!

eyesack
03-23-2008, 12:56 AM
I would use a mild carpet foam/spotter, just be careful cuz the aggressive ones will permanantly bleach the dash if you`re not careful. Spray some on a rag and wipe it down. You need a product that will remove the silicones from the dash (silicone is what makes different products ie armorall, tire shines, any wax that isn`t body-shop-safe shiney) I have used Dawn successfully, and it`s a nice, mild cleanser. But it will dry up the vinyl/plastics, so follow it up with a non-silicone protectant, like a leather lotion, or something with glycerine rather that silicone. Silicone will also degrade the material over time, as engine bay dressings with silicone will eat through the rubber hoses after prolonged use.