PDA

View Full Version : Wagner Spray Tech Control Spray

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ron Harris
03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
First off it was not I who thought about using this cool little tool to spray tire dressing it was integritydetail. I normally use my compressor and spray gun to apply Optimums Opti-Bond. You can use it with the dressing of your choice you will just have to play with the ratio if you are using a thicker product

The reason for this review is for the detailer who cant carry a compressor around with them or the young person who cant or doesn`t want to purchase one or have limited space due to living arrangments.

Here is what it looks like

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5977/d724db1ec05d4282b4737ddip7.jpg

I found it at Home Depot for $69.00

It came with two of the cups two spray nozzles and the main part of the gun the blower.

I first thought it would be loud like an old one I had years ago that i used to paint a few things. However it is a little quieter then my wifes blow dryer. a little louder then a heat gun.

Assembly was easy and once the product is in the cup and the spray tip is twisted on it is ready to attach to the gun. I like the two cups, it allows you to have two different types of product ready to go at all times. No risk of cross contamination when you first pull the trigger.

It is electric so simply plug it in and your ready to go.

I first used it at a 1/1 ratio however this was to thick and the gun had a hard time getting the product to the tire. I went to 1 part Opti-Bond and 2 parts water. This did the trick. It really got the product on the tire in a mostly even manor. I find that this gun is not as efficient as my gun that I use with the compressor. The Wagner doesn`t atomize the product as much. I will probably try different ratios in the future.

Over all it works well and really saves on product usage. This form of application gives your tires a lot of bling but can be knocked down with a sponge if you don`t like it.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8415/1005403zn8.jpg

With both types of application a little dressing gets on the rim and needs to be wiped off. However it`s not much and not a big deal.

Pros.

Saves time

saves product

Keeps your hands clean

Helps dress fender wells

Cost less then a compressor

It`s compact design

Cons.

Doesn`t atomize product as much as the compressor and gun

Spray pattern is a little erratic.

Chris@Optimum
03-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Great review Ron and thanks for the credit! Just to add from my experience to your excellent review:

2:1 was what worked for me as well; 1:1 was a little thick through this gun.

Wheel overspray is avoided with the WheelShield system I got from TOTL.

No overspray on the paint when used outside with light winds like a trigger sprayer; the high air volume from the turbine puts it right where you aim it.

No touch-ups or uneven spots to blend. Just a tip on usage: the amount of product is dependant upon how far you pull the trigger back. Don`t fully release the trigger as you move from tire to tire and the turbine will keep the tube primed. Pull the trigger all the way back for fenderwells and throttle it for the tires and BAM: you just fully dressed tires and wells in like 1.5 minutes.

One more thing, it has three spray patterns: flat vertical, flat horizontal, and round. Round is the way to go for all applications I`ve found so far.

Chris@Optimum
03-22-2008, 09:00 PM
UPDATE: 3:1 works even better, this setup is gonna save my some $$$. This ratio is by far the quickest and easyiest throught the gun. You can throttle the trigger and it`s amazing how well it covers. I applied much less at this ratio because it comes out much faster. If you don`t put on a light coat, it will run, but that`s all you need!

3:1=

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Toyota Landcruiser TT/CIMG0215.jpg

2:1=

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Volvo S60 MS/CIMG0208.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/cthomas1440/Toyota Tundra TA/CIMG0157.jpg

Low Tech
03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Are you fellows wiping the tire after applying the OB, or are you just leaving it to dry? TIA

Chris@Optimum
03-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Leaving it to dry. You can wipe to dull it or leave alone for high gloss. Its dry after about 5-10 minutes.

Low Tech
03-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Thank you, kind sir!

Chris@Optimum
03-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Anytime, my good man!

howareb
03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for this guys. I have always thought about doing this, but never got around to it. You guys have taken the guess work out of it. Thanks a bunch.

Chris@Optimum
03-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for this guys. I have always thought about doing this, but never got around to it. You guys have taken the guess work out of it. Thanks a bunch.

This idea was spawned out of laziness, not ingenuity, LOL.

runnerbl
03-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Wheel overspray is avoided with the WheelShield system I got from TOTL.

Don`t wast money on this system. Get a cardboard box and cut out a circle the diameter of your wheel. Hold it over your wheel while applying product. I have one for each of my vehicles. Works like a charm.

Chris@Optimum
03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
I detail for hire, and must use a level of professionalism. Your idea would be functional for the weekend enthusiest though. The circle would take quite an effort to be accurate, I`d think.

The system is only $14.95 which is very reasonable considering that you get 3 sizes, a adjustable handle, and a carrying bag.

jesselyons2002
03-24-2008, 03:26 AM
Just wondering. How about a sprayer like this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/91700-91799/91772.gif

Chris@Optimum
03-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Should do just fine. I chose the Control Spray because it`s so small though. If I were gonna carry that much around, I`d probably get a pancake compressor and a higher quality gun so I could have more precision. If you`ve already got that one though, you`re set!

Also, the Wagner has a quick disconnect tank and nozzle combo so if you want change products you just change the tank. With others, you`d have to purge the nozzle or clean it before switching. Hope that helps.

jesselyons2002
03-24-2008, 10:41 AM
I myself have a 60 gallon air compressor and a HVLP spray gun. But doesn`t the pancake compressor not have enough cfm to supply a spray gun(Well maybe a detail spray gun).

Chris@Optimum
03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
For dressing application it`d be fine. The Wagner suggestion has a niche in mobile detailing because it`s quiet and self contained. If you have a shop or garage, you`d probably be better off adding a $20 spray gun to your on-site compressor. If you don`t already have a compressor or like the compact size, it`s ideal.