PDA

View Full Version : 3500 PSI Washer on Under Carriage?

TommyC
03-20-2008, 08:00 PM
I`m renting a 3500 PSI 13 HP Pressure Washer from Home Depot to clean the garage. While I have access to it, would it be safe to wash the under carriage of my truck with it, or is 3500 PSI too much?

I definitely wont be spraying the paint, but I was thinking of spraying some purple power degreaser on the undercarriage, and using the power washer.

Is this safe or not? I have a 2006 Ford Pickup.

Thanks a bunch.

By the way, just registered here, first post here, been lurking for a while, this forum is amazing.

David Fermani
03-20-2008, 08:58 PM
It`s too much IMHO. Soak with with some strong degreaser, turn it down & you`ll be fine. 3500 is for blasting concrete & stripping paint.

Are you doing it on a hoist?

GlossyTundra
03-20-2008, 09:07 PM
I dont know what it is with you guys and being overly cautious on the pressure. I`ve run a 3500psi pressure washer on almost everything i`ve detailed for the past 5 years. It will be no problem, but you have to use some common sense with it. Dont get it to close to paint hoses or trim etc.

David Fermani
03-20-2008, 09:39 PM
I think it`s a small feat to have Autoians use a PW in the 1st place. :nono :D I wonder if you really need that much force to clean a vehicle (any part of it)? I can`t comment, because I`ve never used that much. :nixweiss 1500 psi melts away grease covered engines, I`d love to see what 3500psi would do. :bow

GlossyTundra
03-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Honestly, i`d *rather* have 2000psi, but 4gal per min of flow. To me, it`s not the pressure that helps, it`s how much water the thing can throw per minute. You just have to get up in the 3000+ psi range to get it to throw much water.

sinbad
03-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Make sure you turn that setting way down. I used 2500 psi in/around wheel well and ending up blasting away rust proofing and sound protection sealants. I now just spray soap using a weed sprayer, let is soak, then hose down.

TommyC
03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Alright, thanks for the replies!

I`ll just avoid using it on my truck, no reason risking damage. Next time I wash the undercarriage I`ll just use one of the quarter washes + degreaser.