PDA

View Full Version : Newbie finally making the plunge and getting an UDM

3puttjay
03-20-2008, 04:40 PM
After being on these forums for a couple of years now and learning as much as I can, I am finally making the plunge into machine polishing. I am getting the UDM and some pads. But my bigest concern is getting the polishes. I am set on getting the Optimum polish and hyper compound ( mix the two to get the Opt. compound- thanks scottwax). But so much as been written about the Menzerna polishes that I am having second thoughts about getting the Optimum. As a newbie should I work up to menzerna or start from the beginning with it. I would like the easiest stuff for me not to mess up my car. I have a 96 Chevy Impala SS in cherry red that has some swirls and scratches from when my kids climbed on the trunk. If I can`t get out the scratchs, should I just fill in with glaze then wax? And does autogeekor Danase have any coupon codes going on now? I see that autopia has a sale as well, but they don`t stock menzerna or optimum polishes. And I wondered if I should just get the edge 2000 system as well. Autogeek has some good prices and I wanted to spend around $300 for everything (thats what I got hidden away in my paypal account) so the wife won`t complain. I saw on Danase`s site most everything I wanted and it is probably about 60% certain I`ll be buying there. I have enough mf`s, car washes, quick detailers, interior protectants, and tire dressings to last me a while but I really need the polisher to go to the next step and this decision between optimum and menzerna is driving me crazy (if not you guys too). Any and all wisdom is appreciated. Thank you.

Glossy McGlosserton
03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
3puttjay, saw that no one answered your question. It is easy to go crazy trying to do the absolute perfect thing. But either of these product lines is top notch and you won`t go far wrong. The menzerna is less forgiving of being worked outside in sun as it tends to dry up. The optimum has very long work times, but that is irritating to some folks who want to break down the polish and move on. So partially it is a personal preference thing.

Check out Danpon (forget his exact handle) who offers `sample` sizes of Menzerna. This will allow you to experiment without making a huge investment.

Hope this helps.

jswift2000
03-26-2008, 05:36 PM
I started with the sonus polishes (sfx2 and 3) and they worked well. Also check out poorboys, megs, etc. They`re all good stuff and will get the job done.

dublifecrisis
03-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I have been in the same boat as you (not for as long but a couple of months). I was also torn between Optimum and Menzerna. I went with the Menzerna and a PC.

Either are great I bet.

3puttjay
03-27-2008, 02:28 PM
thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and got the optimum polish and hyper compound. I have to usually polish in the sun because the garage is so full of junk and it is hard to move around in it anyway. So optimum seems the wise choice. I went with the edge 2000 system for the pads. I was wondering if I could just use my FK 425 as a pad conditioner or do I have to get a dedicated pad conditioner as well. Also can you use the dawn power dissolver to clean your pads or do i need to get a dedicated cleaner as well.

imported_Denzil
03-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I would just use Dawn to wash your pads and save money.

Setec Astronomy
03-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Who uses a pad conditioner? They just sell that stuff to make more money...your QD should be fine if you really feel you need to use such a thing.

3puttjay
03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
My buddy ( whose office I`m shipping to avoid the wife) has used the danase wet glaze on some of his cars and he is totally impressed. In fact he won`t give me back the wet glaze and if I protest he`s gonna tell the wife. So I will just order some more wet glaze and some of those MF`s he has on sale. I guess I`m gonna get the Dawn power dissolver to clean my pads. I wonder if anybody tosses their edge pads in the washer to wash them. I`m worried the washer would bend the plastic backing plate in the middle of the pad.