PDA

View Full Version : Trapped Particles

WG1
03-20-2008, 07:03 AM
I notice a few white particles (looks like trapped dust ), definitely embedded in the clear. Can trapped particles be polished out successfully with a heavy-cut? Sorry no pics, no longer have a camera.

BobD
03-20-2008, 07:23 AM
I notice a few white particles (looks like trapped dust ), definitely embedded in the clear. Can trapped particles be polished out successfully with a heavy-cut? Sorry no pics, no longer have a camera.

If they are embedded in the clear/paint you`ll want to use a clay bar and not a polish. If they are UNDER the clear , like they are painted over, you`ll have to wetsand. I don;t recommend wetsanding unless you have experience doing it because you might find yourself down to the base coat before getting to the particles, if they are under the clear.

WG1
03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks. It looks embedded but clay wouldn`t remove. Was going to wet sand, but that`s the last resort. Is it worth a try to just use a heavy-cut by hand?

Setec Astronomy
03-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Pictures??

imported_themightytimmah
03-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Sounds like dust nibs... They should have been sanded out when the car was painted, usual process is to sand them out with 1500 on an air sander.

Without a paint thickness gauge and an air sander, I would probably live and let live. Unless it`s a lease, then go at it with 1500 grit and a block, follow with 3000 on a block, compound and polish.

BobD
03-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds like dust nibs... They should have been sanded out when the car was painted, usual process is to sand them out with 1500 on an air sander.

Without a paint thickness gauge and an air sander, I would probably live and let live. Unless it`s a lease, then go at it with 1500 grit and a block, follow with 3000 on a block, compound and polish.

Yeah, it should of been done right when the car came from the paint booth. I wouldn`t mess with it, unless it was a lease LOL. I also would not use heavy compound by hand. You won;t be able to break it all the way down and it might make things worse.

saralee
05-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Just to make it clear, if trapped particles cannot be taken out by claybar I should just leave them embedded in the clearcoat? How about when I polish the paint surface with a PC, won`t the embedded particles cause marring?

I am in a situation where I want to give my car a mild polish using a PC but I have embedded particles in the paint I cannot get out using a claybar. Any advice?