PDA

View Full Version : Hate to rain on your parade..

Pages : [1] 2

mc01ta
03-20-2008, 02:26 AM
I tend to lay low on this great forum and love reading all the great tips and product advice others offer. To get to the point let me discuss my observations of NXT 2.0.

While we are all aware of what the original brought to the table for an OTC product, its looks were fantastic but the durability was severley lacking.

I have tried to applications on my NEW Black Pathfinder. Please note this car is fully prepped, i.e. washed regularly, clayed polished and maintained with 845IW and weekly Aquawax. I recently did a full after winter detail which entailed: Washed, clayed, washed again, IP/FPII and then KAIO. Topped off with NXT 2.0.

Results to me were:

- Looked the same as 1.0

- Has A bit more durability

- Application almost identical but with a bit less streaking

- Beads about the same

I tried it again a month later by wash, clay, wash, no KAIO, topped off with NXT 2.0.

Results:

Same as before.

This is a good OTC product but does not replace Megs #26 liguid in my book. Mothers Cleaner wax and Mothers with no cleaners also might be favored more for looks on durability.

The point of this post is why do we treat new products with so much hype before actually trying them out. I`m sure I`ll get multiple posts about "I tried it and got different results." I`ll stick with my other OTC products and my tried and true 845IW.

This observation took place in the strange climate of VA during the past 2 months. We have endured lots of rain, cold air, warm air, wind etc. 845IW has withstood this along with Megs #26 better in my opinion.

Sorry for being a party pooper :lol:nana: . Just tired of seeing every new product being the greatest every made for 2 months then something replaces it.

kh765
03-20-2008, 02:39 AM
I think NXT and 26 bring different qualities to the table. I think I would prefer the deeper shine of the 26 on paint like mine, but each product has their place. I still haven`t tried the 2.0 on my car, but I have used it and had decent results. I like both 2.0 and 26.

CleanGSR
03-20-2008, 08:50 AM
I have never been a fan of NXT and because of this won`t try 2.0. In my books, I`ll take 21 over NXT every day of the week. 21 looks better than NXT and 21 has really nice durability. I personally haven`t lived on to the hype of NXT 2.0, but I`m pretty excited about 21 2.0 for one reason.....I love version 1 of 21. 2.0 version only improves upon that, mainly with durability, so it`s a winner.

I figure that if I didn`t like the original NXT, then the small changes they`ve made definately won`t make me perfer it over 21 now.

jimmie jam
03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
the only products that i use on my vehicles ...... 845 and NXT (1 not 2 yet). both have their place. my DD CTS gets nothing but 845. my Avalanche (garaged 03 w/14,000 no rain/weather miles) gets NXT for ease of application. my C6 (garage queen 2,300 mile) got 845 when new and gets NXT as "touch up" duty. both the Avey and C6 are not "durability" issues due to lack of exposure/miles, etc. so NXT is perfect for me. the CTS was done in August with 12,000 miles and is now at 18,500 and just "thinking" about a polish an new coat of 845 now. NXT 2.0 may or may not have much better durability but i don`t care. it is what it is - very quick and easy! :2thumbs:

imported_weekendwarrior
03-20-2008, 10:44 AM
My favorite "OTC" Meguiar`s sealant was Medallion Premium Paint Protectant (M98). I have been disappointed with NXT and NXT 2.0 compared to the discontinued M98.

Junebug
03-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Well, everybody has their own opinions and looks are subjective. Personnally, I like NXT 2.0, I will check on the durabilty later in April on a couple of customers that I detailed in January. I have seen one of the cars recently and even though it was dirty, it had a shine underneath that was very evident.

imported_weekendwarrior
03-20-2008, 10:59 AM
The problem I have seen with the NXT 2.0 is that the shine is decent, but the slickness goes away quick.

CleanGSR
03-20-2008, 11:11 AM
The problem I have seen with the NXT 2.0 is that the shine is decent, but the slickness goes away quick.

Which is another reason to go with 21 over NXT. 21 stays slick a really long time compared to NXT. Still can`t hardly wait to try that m98 sample out. I wanna try it on my car but need to wait for the 21 to die down some.

mixxmstrmike
03-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Here`s what I experienced from NXT 2.0:

Location info : San Jose, CA

Vehicle: Acura TSX, Silver

My DD is kept outside 24/7 and on Feb. 8th, it was just washed with NXT 2.0 applied, no clay, no "spring time" prep... that`s for later. This was my personal experiment to see how NXT 2.0 would fare.

The next wash for this vehicle was March 4th. (I know, I know... should have washed more often... shoot me later!) Anyhow, the beading was better than "I" expected and the slickness, was decent, at best.

Between Feb. 8th and March 4th, the vehicle went through several days of rain, thus the infrequent number of washes.

If I can get a month of shine and protection from NXT 2.0, I`m more than satisfied. I say this because of the ease of use. For "MY" DD, I just want it to look at its best without spending TOO much time. I`ll probably just wash the vehicle again this weekend and apply another coat because it`s really THAT easy to apply and buff. (I`m comparing the ease of use to Meg`s 16... we all know how much of a bear that product can be if applied TOO thick.)

Just my personal observations,

Mike

Scottwax
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I had a test sample of NXT2 about three months before it came out, so I had ample time to test it. The new version definitely has a deeper look but no, it isn`t going to beat #26 in depth. Not much does. However, it does have a wetter look. The new version also fills better than the original so if your paint isn`t perfect it makes it look better. Durability and slickness are also improved over the original version.

impalaman1963
03-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Should you Meguiers NXT 2 then Collinite 845

or

Collinite 845 then Meguiers NXT 2

I`am doing this on a 63 Impala.

jimmie jam
03-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Should you Meguiers NXT 2 then Collinite 845

or

Collinite 845 then Meguiers NXT 2

I`am doing this on a 63 Impala.

here`s how i use them. corrected to the nines, apply 845 x 2. then in the future for a quick pop i`ll NXT. i do this on my C6 which never sees the light of day (15 months old/2,400 miles). on my DD CTS its only 845 (as stated in my prior post).

you don`t really need both, imho. :faint:

tom p.
03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I have never been a fan of NXT and because of this won`t try 2.0.

I`m kind of in the same boat. I wasn`t pleased with the original product`s durability. There`s nothing persuading me to try v2.0. I just can`t get excited about it when there are so many other proven products out there…and there are a lot of them.

I look at my old daily driver that I prepped with Collinite`s 845 early in the winter season and keep saying to myself, "this is what a durable, handsome product is all about".

TTWAGN
03-22-2008, 06:00 AM
The point of this post is why do we treat new products with so much hype before actually trying them out.

Ive said this before about some peoples reviews and i just got flamed.

Its just flavour of the month stuff.

Menzerna 106FF was flavour of the month.

3m Ultrafina was also a flavour of the month.

Meguiars 105 is the current flavour of March 2008 ;)

Of course to become flavour of the month it has to be pretty high quality. 106FF, ultrafine and M105 are all awesome stuff but they are not 10 times better than competiting products they all have advantages and disadvantages.

Meguiars NXT 2 is good. Usuaally you have to compromise between, easy of use, wetness and durability. NXT 2 has a good compromise.

There is no product that is easy to use that offers excellent wetness AND durability.

Just like how people have complained that the M105 gums up and has a short working time. Thats a compromise you get for its quick cutting ability.

Bigpikle
03-23-2008, 06:26 AM
I have had NXT 2.0 on 3 of my cars (2 daily drivers that live in the UK wind and rain 24/7 and 1 garage queen) for a little while and have found:

1. added a lovely glow over the #26 previously on the car, on a dark red pearl - quite stunning initially

2. didnt seem to add much to a dark silver - tough colour to make a difference to

3. beading and sheeting are very average, and not up to 476/Zymol standards - no magical effects from the hydrophobic properties that I could detect, and it left me slightly disappointed from a beading/sheeting standpoint

4. very easy to apply and buff, by hand and by UDM

5. made more of a difference visually on my pale yellow car than anything I have tried before - seemed to have a bit more `glow` about the paint and a slightly wetter look than #26, Vic Concours, etc

No idea on durability as it had other waxes underneath and is maintained, but that is not an issue for me.