PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good idea and could i get a thread stickied?

Pages : [1] 2

MrNorwall
03-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I am rather new here posting but have been looking for several months, and i think most new thread created are asking like "newbie here, what products shoud i use?"

Forum Members- Would it be a good idea to make a thread that shows members product recomendations for these kind of people, i would then make a list with like numbers of what each product scored

Mods- If some members agree and would post their items, could i get it stickied?

I just thought this would be a good idea to try and elimanate alot of threads that clog up the forums from people`s redundant questions.

Ideas appreciated

SYDWAZ
03-19-2008, 10:00 PM
I dont think the admins would do that since Autopia has it own brand of products it sells.

BigJimZ28
03-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I dont think the admins would do that since Autopia has it own brand of products it sells.

what gave you that idea?....they are very open minded

and let us talk about what ever products we want in the open forums

to the OP

it is a nice idea but with all the different paints, machines products, and skill levels

it would be hard and need to be updated offen with all the new products

MrNorwall
03-20-2008, 07:06 AM
i was thinking about that, we could have like pros and cons to each product separated into groups by what it cleans (polishes, waxes, interior protectant etc.) and put what kind of paint it works well on in polishes, the other products really dont matter

dublifecrisis
03-20-2008, 12:10 PM
I think it`s a great idea even if it`s not a sticky. I have been looking for the same type of information that is kept all in one place/thread. If we listed the brand/use/price/best used with/pros/cons. and kept it at that?

Accumulator
03-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, it`d beat having to oh-so-frequently retype my standard recommendations (which I oughta just save in Word).

cshorey
03-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, it`d beat having to oh-so-frequently retype my standard recommendations (which I oughta just save in Word).

You should just make it your sig... ;)

My personal though was to create a thread that was basically a FAQ of often asked questions, but instead of having answers, just redirecting to various discussion that have already occurred. So for example, how do I clean my pads, (posted quite often) then list some of the more detailed and good discussions regarding recommendations.

So instead of making a laundry list of recommendations which are often members personal opinions, point new members to good past discussions.

chris

BobD
03-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I am rather new here posting but have been looking for several months, and i think most new thread created are asking like "newbie here, what products shoud i use?"

Forum Members- Would it be a good idea to make a thread that shows members product recomendations for these kind of people, i would then make a list with like numbers of what each product scored

Mods- If some members agree and would post their items, could i get it stickied?

I just thought this would be a good idea to try and elimanate alot of threads that clog up the forums from people`s redundant questions.

Ideas appreciated

The thing is there are so many new products introduced all of the time there is no set, "best". It also depends on vehicle, paint type, condition and so on.

imported_rydawg
03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
The thing is there are so many new products introduced all of the time there is no set, "best". It also depends on vehicle, paint type, condition and so on.

I agree totally!

MrNorwall
03-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I will obviously keep evolving the list, i just might do the other think the guy said about FAQ and posting links to other threads..

anyways if i did this, would a mod sticky it?

SYDWAZ
03-20-2008, 11:50 PM
what gave you that idea?....they are very open minded

and let us talk about what ever products we want in the open forums

to the OP

I just figured it was a conflict of interest to be sticked!!:nixweiss I think it would be a good idea for sure. It would have helped me out a bunch. :)

Pennypacker
03-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Personally, I think there`s just far too many variables for this to be a viable sticky. It`s tough enough just keeping the decoder ring updated and that`s pretty basic. I can`t imagine what something like this would be like, unfortunately.

jshillin
03-21-2008, 05:26 AM
A little searching will get answers to most of your questions. It would just change to often to make it worth while...

Alfisti
03-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Isn`t this similar to what you`re requesting?

http://autopia.org/reviews

dublifecrisis
03-21-2008, 08:01 AM
All I know is, me being just a weekend warrior and general detailing enthusiast, I still have not made up my mind on which products to go with. I`ve been reading this forum and others for about 2 months now. I know how to search and I`ve read lots of stuff. I know part of my problem is that I have yet to even experiement with these `professional` products but with the limited budget etc...I am just really trying to nail down a simple list to order with my first DA. I started a thread, I got some tips, I read others with very similar questions yada, yada, yada.

In the end, I think most amateurs like myself would be pleased with just about any reasonable combination of polish, waxes so long as it`s applied correctly. In fact, I might end up just getting a UDM with a couple pads and go buy the Megs mirror glaze line from pepboys and mess around with it. If I don`t get results then I will step up to something else....as for for the megs-I`m just not sure yet about the #6, #7, #9...WTH? LOL