PDA

View Full Version : First time I can`t correct it...

Pages : [1] 2 3

ScubaStevo
03-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I`ve put at least 10 hours of polishing into this 2004 Silverado, and it still looks like absolute garbage. No matter what I do, it will either haze or hologram. PC on a finishing pad hazes it with wax? hmmm.... Mind you this is only on the passanger side. I can finish off the hood and drivers side no problem.

Anyone with any insight as to what might do the trick, please for the love of god chime in.

Steve

Pass side fender. After about 50 passes of everythign I own, still no avail...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Zach4u2c/boatregalblack007.jpg

And the hood with about 4 stages on it. It looks brand new...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Zach4u2c/boatregalblack008.jpg

Driven Auto Detail
03-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Could it be that the panel has been repainted and the damage is actually under the clear?

imported_Detailing Technology
03-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Could it be that the panel has been repainted and the damage is actually under the clear?

Thats a great analysis.

It is extremely possible they didnt spray color up that high on the fender, but the clear SHOULD have filled in the swirls.

Might be too late, run a piece of 2000 over it and see if the swirls are still there.

fergnation
03-19-2008, 06:46 PM
What products are being used? Is the fender clean of swirls before you try to wax? Why not just apply wax by hand?

One day left of Winter!!! Please no more pictures with snow in it!!

mrfjsw294
03-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Dont take this the wrong way but from the pics it looks like the hood is still swirled too...or is it my eyes playing tricks on me? Hoods of trucks can be stupid difficult sometimes because of the angle you are looking at it vs. the angle you are working on it. Once again, please dont take that wrong, im just trying to rule out every possibility.

Perhaps dirt in the pad? That fender is just wacked man!

imported_themightytimmah
03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Meg`s #7, good quality MF towel, hand. If it`s *that* soft, this approach should work.

Might be deep in the paint though :(.

David Fermani
03-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Can someone explain how swirls can be under the clear? If clear covers prep sanding scratches, it`s going to cover micro swirls.

ScubaSteve - Did you 2 step compound this one (XP Synthetic Cut/Power Cut Plus) ? If so, you`re not finishing down enough or properly.

ScubaStevo
03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Can someone explain how swirls can be under the clear? If clear covers prep sanding scratches, it`s going to cover micro swirls.

ScubaSteve - Did you 2 step compound this one (XP Synthetic Cut/Power Cut Plus) ? If so, you`re not finishing down enough or properly.

I`m well aware that it wouldn`t finish down enough. And no, the drivers side is swirl free under the halogens and sunlight. Its simply the passanger side.

Here were my steps:

Synthetic cut on cutting pad

Synthetic cut on polishing

Power Cut on polishing

GS1 on polishing

Gs1 on finishing

50/50 glaze on finishing

Awesome gloss by hand

Honestly, with the amount of fillers that I`ve tried, it should have covered that up no problem. Pads around the problem neither, since I even tried breaking out a completely new set of pads once the first round looked like the above as well. This resulted in no difference.

EDIT: I see what you mean in the hood picture, the "swirls" you see are actually water marks when I washed down the fender for pictures.

David Fermani
03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
A couple of things:

GS-1 isnt strong enough to remove the compounding marks created in the 1st few steps.? Did you try BC-1?

and/or

Repaint without enough hardener. Any signs of paint work on the problem panels?

Can you edit your above post to include wool or foam pads too?

ScubaStevo
03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
A couple of things:

GS-1 isnt strong enough to remove the compounding marks created in the 1st few steps.? Did you try BC-1? I think you need a

and/or

Repaint without enough hardener. Any signs of paint work on the problem panels?

Can you edit your above post to include wool or foam pads too?

They`re all foam. I`ve tried a 50/50 blend of power cut and GS1. Still the same result.

Panels were definatly repainted.

imported_rydawg
03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Did you polish this truck before?

Todd@RUPES
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM

I would say that David is right. Micro swirls should be filled easily when the clear coat is sprayed on.

If a DA is leaving micromarring, then you are dealing in trouble. The reasons it appears that you are not getting the swirls out is likely because you are either

a) creating new ones

Extremely soft paint requires a rotary polisher, a pad with no mechanical property, and perfect techique. It simply will not tolerate any less then perfection. I would try 3M UltraFina or Menzerna PO85rd as a finishing polish with a Lake Country Blue or Red pad. Work the polish for a while, then back down to 1000 rpm and gently work the polish for a while as well.

or

b) they are very deep

With EXTREMELY soft paint (stuff that makes Infiniti G paint seem hard), the impressions that cause swirling can be pushed deep into the film build. Because leveling paint with a pad doesn`t remove just the high spots (like wetsanding which can be "safer" then compounding), you can actually "push" the swirls down as you chase them out. That means not only are you releveling the "highs" of the paint, but actually releveling the "lows" as well. It might take a lot of paint to finally catch up, and because the paint is so soft, even the minimal contact that occurs in the "lows" or valley of the micro-swirl can still remove enough paint to chase it further down.

imported_Detailing Technology
03-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Bad prep!

If the shop didn`t scuff/sand the entire fender, ala Bronx style, I can see the swirls would remian. Ever see a "blended" bumper where they stop the clear right at the license plate and don`t spray reducer to melt the line? You have 1/2 a clean bumper and 1/2 a pitted old scuffed up junk.

The clear would fill in the visible marks though.

Ill buy into the improperly mixed clear theory.

Or just bad / expired clear-reducer-hardner product.

Or mixing manufacturerers of the clear - reducer -hardner.

David Fermani
03-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Prep really has no outcome on paint softness. It`s all related to the amount of activator (hardener) that`s mixed in the clear. Even if you have an extremely soft base coat (Sherman Williams is known for this), it won`t effect the sofeness of the paint. Another thing people think too, is that paint that isn`t baked, will be soft. You could paint a car in a garage (but have the accurate mix) and still have perfect hardness.

eyesack
03-20-2008, 03:24 PM
just be careful, if it is a repaint, you never know without a ptg how much paint you have to work with. sounds to me like a bad repaint.