PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars "scratchx"

Pages : [1] 2

bmw06330i
03-18-2008, 02:34 PM
It says its a swirl remover on the product but is it a good idea to use this on the whole car??

pampos
03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Of course.There is no problem on that.How are you going to apply it?Does the car really need to be polished?i already applied it on my car by DA polisher and the results were fantastic.

bmw06330i
03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Of course.There is no problem on that.How are you going to apply it?Does the car really need to be polished?i already applied it on my car by DA polisher and the results were fantastic.

I have moderate swirl marks that are driving me crazy on a black car. I have some Meg gold class paste wax also. Was just going to apply with mrciofiber applicator pad. How long does this stuff last?

mose
03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Probably not a good idea to use it on the whole car. I would go with something a little less aggresive for the whole car.

BigJimZ28
03-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Probably not a good idea to use it on the whole car. I would go with something a little less aggresive for the whole car.

what are you going to use that is less aggresive

and will REMOVE swirls marks?

to the OP are you working by hand or machine?

pampos
03-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I have moderate swirl marks that are driving me crazy on a black car. I have some Meg gold class paste wax also. Was just going to apply with mrciofiber applicator pad. How long does this stuff last?

I have also black car and i can feel your pain :)

I used scratchX and the 3 STEPS Meg but for the last step i used the Meg gold class liquid wax .I have now idea how long it last because 3 weeks later i used the UPGP and many other products like carnauba,Klasse glaze etc.For those three weeks my car had a really deep shine and it was still there.

Hope that helps.

eddie926
03-18-2008, 02:57 PM
My understanding is that ScratchX has fillers also, as opposed to a pure polish.

If I`m putting in the effort to do the whole car, I`d start with a pure polish and ensure that I`m eliminating as many swirls and scratches as possible before I used anything that has fillers. If you`re using something with fillers, it may look terrific when you get done polishing, but a couple of washes later the swirls and scratches will start to reappear as the fillers wash away.

I generally only use ScratchX for spot treatment in between polishes now.

bmw06330i
03-18-2008, 03:02 PM
My understanding is that ScratchX has fillers also, as opposed to a pure polish.

If I`m putting in the effort to do the whole car, I`d start with a pure polish and ensure that I`m eliminating as many swirls and scratches as possible before I used anything that has fillers. If you`re using something with fillers, it may look terrific when you get done polishing, but a couple of washes later the swirls and scratches will start to reappear as the fillers wash away.

Z5 work well for this?

BigJimZ28
03-18-2008, 03:05 PM

F.Y.I.: "pure polish" is a term used by meg`s that means "Glaze"

and I think you are trying to say use a abbrasive polish with no fillers

bmw06330i
03-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I have also black car and i can feel your pain :)

I used scratchX and the 3 STEPS Meg but for the last step i used the Meg gold class liquid wax .I have now idea how long it last because 3 weeks later i used the UPGP and many other products like carnauba,Klasse glaze etc.For those three weeks my car had a really deep shine and it was still there.

Hope that helps.

I assume its bad to do this every 3 weeks. Looking for something that will last.

pampos
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I assume its bad to do this every 3 weeks. Looking for something that will last.

i didn`t say that it doesn`t.i just tried something else before the effects are gone.i will now tomorrow if it lasts more.i applied it on my friends car 2 months ago and i will see the car tomorrow so i could tell you for sure.

eddie926
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
F.Y.I.: "pure polish" is a term used by meg`s that means "Glaze"

and I think you are trying to say use a abbrasive polish with no fillers

OK. Thanks for the info. I didn`t realize the terminology. Yeah, I`m just saying I`d use something that has no fillers.

the other pc
03-18-2008, 03:23 PM
ScratchX is a good product and, as pampos mentions, is fine to use over an entire car.

It is a cutting product, which is what you need to actually remove swirls instead of just temporarily hiding them.

It’s not all that common to use ScratchX on a whole car because most people use it by hand and working a whole car by hand is a ton of work. It works much faster by machine. And it only comes in those little tubes and therefore costs more per ounce than similar products

PC.

bmw06330i
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
ScratchX is a good product and, as pampos mentions, is fine to use over an entire car.

It is a cutting product, which is what you need to actually remove swirls instead of just temporarily hiding them.

It’s not all that common to use ScratchX on a whole car because most people use it by hand and working a whole car by hand is a ton of work. It works much faster by machine. And it only comes in those little tubes and therefore costs more per ounce than similar products

PC.

PC you are a lot of help. Do you have AIM or MSN?

bmw06330i
03-18-2008, 03:53 PM

PC.

How often can I use scratchX safely? Estimate how long it would take by hand to do the whole car? I just have a cheap 1 dollar Microfiber applicator to apply it with...is that ok? Then I plan on following it up with the MEG gold class paste wax.