PDA

View Full Version : New car, now what?

DB350Z
03-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi Guys - I just bought a brand new Infiniti G37 last week, it`s a beautiful car and I intend to keep it like that. So I`d like to know what I can do with my current products to protect the paint. As it should be this early on the paint is in good condition but I have noticed a few fine swirl marks and scratches that were probably produced by the dealer washing the car. So anyway I`m assuming I don`t need to do any polishing or if I do something that isn`t too abrasive. What can I do with my current arsenal?

S100 Cleanser

S100 Wax

Liquid NXT

3M Swirl Mark Remover

Meguiar`s #83

Porter Cable

DAS pads (White, Green, Orange)

I think the objective here is to protect my paint and maybe remove the little scratching that is already there. I`m assuming I probably won`t need to clay bar, right? I`m also open to trying new products. I want as few steps in the process as possible with maximum results. Maybe I should try an AIO?

Thanks!

cowboytruckn
03-18-2008, 01:16 AM
I won`t hit on the products you have since I am not familiar with them as much as I am sure some of the other guys are but I will just like to say I would definately recommend the clay bar. Although it is a new car it was transported probably in an uncovered car transport to the lot. It will still have some contamination on the paint I guarantee it. It will be such a better prep and as we all know it is all in the prep.

If you are looking for an AIO wax, I personally use Mother`s products. Depending on the color and paint itself Mother`s offers its Cleaner Wax, which is a carnuaba based wax and will give more depth for the darker colors. They also make FX SynWax which is a synthetic wax which will probably last longer, give less depth, but will make lighter colors, metallic, and pearls pop with a lot of shine.

imported_DieselMDX
03-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Hi Guys - I just bought a brand new Infiniti G37 last week, it`s a beautiful car and I intend to keep it like that. So I`d like to know what I can do with my current products to protect the paint. As it should be this early on the paint is in good condition but I have noticed a few fine swirl marks and scratches that were probably produced by the dealer washing the car. So anyway I`m assuming I don`t need to do any polishing or if I do something that isn`t too abrasive. What can I do with my current arsenal?

S100 Cleanser

S100 Wax

Liquid NXT

Meguiar`s #82

Meguiar`s #83

Porter Cable

DAS pads

I think the objective here is to protect my paint and maybe remove the little scratching that is already there. I`m assuming I probably won`t need to clay bar, right? I`m also open to trying new products. I want as few steps in the process as possible with maximum results. Maybe I should try an AIO?

Thanks!

Yes u need to clay the car to remove rail dust and pollutions from it being shipped to you.

How is the paint if there are imprefection you would need a light polish IE 80/106ff/3m UF

If not a cleaner IE AIO s100 cleanser poli seal just to have a base

LSP can be anything u want to use.

DB350Z
03-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have heard that Infiniti paint is "soft". Any special precautions I should take? What can go wrong with soft paint?

imported_weekendwarrior
03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
For starters, use plenty of lube, and move the clay lightly across the paint. In addition, use the softest micfrofiber towels you can get, and use as little pressure as possible when wiping.

DB350Z
03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
For starters, use plenty of lube, and move the clay lightly across the paint. In addition, use the softest micfrofiber towels you can get, and use as little pressure as possible when wiping.

That`s what she said about the lube :chuckle:

But seriously I was referring to the porter cable. When I`m polishing am I going to rip the paint off?

Accumulator
03-20-2008, 07:02 PM
... When I`m polishing am I going to rip the paint off?

Soft paint is more prone to micromarring and sometimes (in extreme cases) the PC`s action exacerbates this. Hopefully that won`t be the case with your Infiniti.

Sounds to me like you *do* need to do some polishing to correct the damage from those dealership washes. This correction is often more difficult than people expect it to be ;)

The #82 is a fairly mild polish. If it won`t do the job step up to the #83.

The #82 leaves stuff ("trade secret oils") behind, so I`d use NXT after it. I wouldn`t use the P21S GEPC as it`ll clean those oils off, possibly exposing residual marring.

And yeah, I`d certainly clay the car (actually, I`m so extreme about this new-car prep stuff that I`d use a decontamination system on it, but you`ll probably get by fine with just the clay).

Wash, clay, polish, wax.

I don`t think you really *need* new products as the stuff you have now oughta do a good job. There are, of course, countless options if you want to try something new and *I* would steer you towards 1Z brand polishes and Collinite brand wax. But I really think you can just use what you have.

No reason *IMO* to get an AIO type product as you need to do some polishing anyhow and I usually consider AIOs as an alternative to polishing (and/or bases for certain sealants like Klasse SG). AIOs are handy to have around though, Klasse AIO, Zaino AIO, Jeff`s, Autoglym SRP, Meguiar`s Color-X, lots of choices.

DB350Z
03-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Here`s a quick picture I took with my iPhone:

http://pub.ck84.ws/g37_at_lowes.jpg

I`m going to wash it, clay it, and wax with NXT 2.0 this weekend. I`m going to hold off on the polishing for a couple months. The dealer fixed a chip on the door and repainted part of the front bumper so I want to wait for that to fully cure. I picked up Clay Magic but from what I just read it may cause marring so I think I`m going to go back and get the Meguiar`s Kit. It comes with two 50g bars vs the one 100g Clay Magic bar.

Accumulator
03-29-2008, 11:06 AM
..I`m going to wash it, clay it, and wax with NXT 2.0 this weekend. I`m going to hold off on the polishing for a couple months. The dealer fixed a chip on the door and repainted part of the front bumper so I want to wait for that to fully cure. I picked up Clay Magic but from what I just read it may cause marring so I think I`m going to go back and get the Meguiar`s Kit..

Ah, OK..given the paintwork waiting to polish makes sense. I wouldn`t NXT the repainted areas as they need to outgas. If your local place has Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #2 Polish you could use that (or good old #7 Showcar Glaze) in the meantime, that way the new paint will get good and hard.

The ClayMagic Blue shouldn`t mar, but if you feel better using the Meg`s stuff then OK.

I do suggest you tear those bars (of either size) into some smaller pieces; I`ve been claying since the early `90s and I *STILL* drop it from time time :o Nice to not contaminate the whole bar when that happens.