PDA

View Full Version : How to protect car`s leather & vinyl steering wheel?

SilverSeven
03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Do u guys think a hand moisturizer cream can causes the leather steering or vinyl steering to peel and crack. I encounter this on my previous car`s leather steering and now my mom`s car....? My previous car becoz every time I get back the car from my ex-gf, the steering is oily and greasy. She use hand lotion and sun protection lotion. And I notice my leather steering started to crack from that point on...?

Now I notice this problem on my mom`s 1 1/2 yr old car. She has some skin problems and she uses hand lotion often. Now it`s looks like the vinyl steering wheel`s coating is peeling off. How do u guys usually clean a steering wheel?

I can`t use chemical on it coz I don`t know if it will have any side effect on my mom`s skin problem...? Her skin is also sensitive to some detergent. Do you think I should just leave the peeling steering alone for my mom`s sake. Or what kind of other ways could I clean & protect the steering from getting worse. Thanks.

judyb
03-17-2008, 05:58 AM
You can use a water based leather protector which will act like a scotchgard and inhibit the absorption of oils into the leather. The absorption of oils into leather can cause cracking which is why it is not a good idea to use `conditioners`

Hope this helps

stiffdogg06
03-17-2008, 09:59 AM
You can use a water based leather protector which will act like a scotchgard and inhibit the absorption of oils into the leather. The absorption of oils into leather can cause cracking which is why it is not a good idea to use `conditioners`

Hope this helps

I will usually just use 303 protectant on steering wheels. Not greasy, and cleans it very well. You don`t want it to be greasy LoL

judyb
03-17-2008, 10:47 AM
A protectant will not do the cleaning but it is good to use one. Protectors shouldn`t be greasy as they are water based fluorochemicals.

imported_Yal
03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I would look into a steering wheel cover.

NSXTASY
03-17-2008, 01:17 PM
I can`t use chemical on it coz I don`t know if it will have any side effect on my mom`s skin problem...? Her skin is also sensitive to some detergent. Do you think I should just leave the peeling steering alone for my mom`s sake. Or what kind of other ways could I clean & protect the steering from getting worse. Thanks.

This is the most pertinent info. If her condition leaves her skin that sensitive, it may be better to just leave it as long as the wheel does not present an inherent danger as it peels and cracks.

You could always find a soap (dial/bar soap) that is gentle on her skin (ask her), mix with a bit of distilled water and at least give the wheel a thorough wipe down occasionally.