PDA

View Full Version : Hologram

Finaltheorem47
03-16-2008, 08:49 AM
The first time I polished my car was with a rotary. I did SSR3 on a LC wool pad, SSR2.5 on an orange pad, and SSR1 on a white pad. I was left with a hologram effect and was wondering which caused it? Was it the wool pad and I didn`t spend enough time buffing that out with the SSR2.5? I think my problem was that I got tired on the sides and started to rush it and didn`t let the polishes break down.

imported_Puckman
03-16-2008, 09:21 AM
You may have answered the question. Any one of those combos could have done it if rushed although your final step would have been the least aggressive and might be your solution.

You might want to try your final combo again and take your time and work the product slowly. I actually like seeing customers who show up with holograms from a previous buff attempt because they are so easy to remove.

How does the paint look otherwise and why did you start so aggressive? I`m assuming you had some serious marring to cut down. If that was the case, did it work? If so, that is the idea and the holograms are simply finish and finesse.

Good luck and get back to us.

Finaltheorem47
03-16-2008, 09:38 AM
yes and no, the paint had bad acid rain, but I tried to correct it and I believe it was a mistake to do because the pits were so deep.

pampos
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Any pictures maybe will help.

imported_Puckman
03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Yes, pitting is very difficult to address and if too deep it`s best left alone and don`t go down to their depth. The surface correction, I bet, came out fantastic!

For pitting I don`t leave anything in them that will turn white or contrast with the paint color. For example some polishes, waxes and even some sealants will dry to a white or greyish haze showing the pits. Try to avoid that by wiping down with alcohol and water to remove any residual material that might dry and harden in the pits. Then apply your wax or sealant and hopefully they will look better.

Wren
03-16-2008, 01:33 PM
5 bucks says it was a combination of product and wool technique, followed by hurrying through your finish step.

Go back to your white pad and take your time.

imported_smprince1
03-16-2008, 02:59 PM
The first time I polished my car was with a rotary. .... I think my problem was that I got tired on the sides and started to rush it and didn`t let the polishes break down.

Looks like you answered you own question....

Finishing without leavving holograms is pretty tough the first time ever with a rotary... it takes a little practice.

Add to that being tired and rushing, your chances of finishing perfectly get even lower.

Make sure you use a finishing pad, reduce your speed a little compared to compounding, reduce pad pressure on the last few passes, keep the pad flat, don`t get "jiggy" with the arm speed, and work the polishes properly to allow then to finish out.

Even doing all that, it can be tough to finish hologram-free on the vertical panels and may require a finishing step with an orbital.

imported_advs1
03-20-2008, 10:24 PM
seeing as i`m such a newb, what exactly is a hologram? can any one post pics of one?? obviously it is a hologram and might not come out in a pic??

BigJimZ28
03-20-2008, 10:34 PM
seeing as i`m such a newb, what exactly is a hologram? can any one post pics of one?? obviously it is a hologram and might not come out in a pic??

it will show up in a picture

just like most think arounfd here a quick search and you can find it

here look at this:

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/102383-holograms-buffer-trails-rotary-questions-pic.html

imported_advs1
03-20-2008, 10:49 PM
it will show up in a picture

just like most think arounfd here a quick search and you can find it

here look at this:

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/102383-holograms-buffer-trails-rotary-questions-pic.html

ah the power of the search. i would have but wasnt looking for info on holograming. just happened onto it while reading

imported_themightytimmah
03-20-2008, 11:16 PM
SSR3 creates a *disaster* via wool if not worked in completely. You probably didn`t get the marks out from it 100%, try 2.5 on a white LC then 1 on a white LC via PC.

windydog
01-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!!!