PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation to rid extreme brake dust

Big_O
03-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Have a car that has extreme break dust and is chromed out. Tried eagle 1 with brushes and while it shined the wheels up nicely, there is caked on brake dust around the rim that is very stubborn. What can I use to finally remove all the dust (spotted) and give the wheel the shine it deserves?

Thanks,

Wolf-Strong
03-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Is it a German car? =P

The reason I ask is that I see that ALL the time on BMWs with those little black specs all over the rim from going more than a week without washing them. Really, the only way to get rid of it is to clay, clay, and just when your arm is about dead, clay just a little bit more and bam! You have finished your first wheel!

I am not joking either, expect to spend anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour per wheel in just claying to get rid of that stuff. Now, this is on Mercedes/BMW/Audi cars with factory brakes, so maybe yours won`t be as bad, but I am just preparing you for the worst!

Just FYI, I have tried heavy acid cleaners, and about the only two wheel cleaners that work are Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener (for factory coated wheels) or P21s if the wheels are bare aluminum or anodized. Even with these, it is often required that you clay the wheels for the real bad stuff. Hope that helps!

cajunfirehawk
03-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Change your pads to ceramic and be done with brake dust forever!

eyezack87
03-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Use Mr. Cleans Magic Eraser designed for "Wheels & Tires" :). It works pretty well on the caked on stuff that you can`t seem to get rid of

BigJimZ28
03-16-2008, 02:03 PM

2x change the pads and fix the problem

kkjv1
03-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Use an old used clay and elbow grease.

Big_O
03-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys appreciate the help. Have some clay and will give it a shot!

mhadden
03-17-2008, 11:27 AM
P21S Gel...let it sit on there for a while, then use a wheel brush to agitate and wash off. But long term, yes, getting some better pads (usually ceramic) will make a huge difference.

Bert
03-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Danase Assassin Tire and Wheel Cleaner works wonderful and only cost $9.

imported_themightytimmah
03-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener. There is *nothing* that MWB won`t remove, given agitation and dwell time.

beachcities
03-17-2008, 08:43 PM

When I used to work in autoparts they always told us to use the oem pads that are compatiable with the oem rotors.

BigJimZ28
03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
When I used to work in autoparts they always told us to use the oem pads that are compatiable with the oem rotors.

don`t listen to every thing you here

the pads on my car brake better, dust less, and cost less then OEM

also I don`t think there is such a thing as a pad that is not compatiable with a rotor