PDA

View Full Version : Help!?!?! Swirls/scratches On Windshield

MELODY7
03-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Help guys I`m not a detailer but I like taking care of my investments. I spent 2 hours washing my car. And after I was done and went to school I noticed my windshield still had some dirt on it after scrubbing it with my sheepskin mitt and cleaning it with glass cleaner. I got furious and when i returned home I used a dish washing sponge to get the dirt off. Yeah, I`m an idiot, used the rough part and now I have scratches/swirls. Can someone please point me in the right direction and tell me a product that will remove this? Thank you soooo much.

MELODY7
03-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Please help.

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Are the scratches from the windshield wipers? Or do you actually see them in the pattern in which you scrubbed the windshield? I`m finding it hard to believe that you actually scratched the glass with a kitchen scrubber...is it possible that the caked-on dirt was the abrasive culprit? Or (hopefully) there is some film still on the glass in which you have scrubbed a pattern.

Well, I suppose the right kitchen scrubber could scratch glass...if that is the case, there isn`t a whole lot you can do due to the hardness of glass. Do you have a polishing machine? What is the most agressive polish you have?

MELODY7
03-15-2008, 05:44 PM
The scratches are from the dish washing sponge, the rougher side. I know this for a fact because the scratches were not there before I took on this procedure. Scratches possible could of came from the dirt that was on the windshield. I do not have a polish nor a polishing machine but I would like to know what polish to purchase that way I can take it to a friend which might be able to take this off. Thanks for the reply.

GatorJ
03-15-2008, 07:22 PM
There are several kits that you use with an electric drill. If the scratches are very minor this might work. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, this probably won`t work. See kit Pol-300:

NicSand Professional Surface Restoring Formula 5 Minute Repair Pads (http://www.autobarn.net/nicsand-5min-pol-x00.html)

GatorJ
03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Here are several more:

Eastwood Company: Search Results for glass (http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=glass&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search)

thump_rrr
03-16-2008, 06:47 AM
iIf the kitchen sponge has a built in Scotch-Brite type pad built in there is a definite possibility of scratching the glass. A rotary with the proper products can polish scratches out of glass but due to the possibility of distortion I would recommend getting a professional auto glass place to look at it.