PDA

View Full Version : PC vs Flex vs Makita vs others -- Weight issues.

Neofate
03-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Hey guys/ladies..

I am in a bit of a quandry.. I`m vexxed, terribly vexxed.. :p

No really, I am trying to decide which rotary or orbital device to purchase.

I`ve gone to a hardware store and held a makita standard rotary (sander/polisher) and a Porter cable.

The Porter Cable was heavy.. alot heavier than I antipicated. I`ve talked with others and they do say it can be a pain to work with the PC due to weight. (Not that you can`t lift it, but given the weight it is just not as easy to maneuver compared to a lighter device). Like the Makita standard rotary was much easier to control. I tested it on some panels they had in the shop, with the variable speed I feel that I could go straight to a Rotary being very cautious.

Anyhow -- If I wanted to get something as light as possible that still did a `good` job.. What would you recommend?

I am willing to go straight to a Rotary not an random orbital if that is the lightest most cost effective way to go. (The risk of damaging paint would totally be on me of course, so pretend I can operate a Rotary with enough skill not to damage things) :)

Brands and model numbers would be good... links would be fantastic. I`ll take anything though!

:thx