PDA

View Full Version : How should I deal with this paint chip?

ty webb
03-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Much to my dismay, yesterday I found a small pair of rock chips on my front bumper. I think I`ll be able to repair them pretty well using some touch-up paint from the dealership and either the Lankga (sp?) or wetsanding/PC (I have these already) as both chips are around 1mm in diameter.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2280/2331403032_08b5d9c63f.jpg

My problem involves the prepping of the chip to the right. Instead of simply being chipped off, the paint here has been sheared and compressed. This is going to somehow have to be removed before the touch up paint is added. Does anyone have any ideas/experience with this type of repair? I think peeling it will make a larger mark, so right now I`m leaning towards attempting to cut it with a razor knife.

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

imported_Luster
03-14-2008, 10:06 PM
It is easier on non-metallic paint (black, white, solid red, etc.). I usually paint the touch-up paint over the chip in very light coats until it is slightly above the level of the paint. Let it cure for a couple days, then take a window scraper (with a brand new razor blade) and VERY CAREFULLY cut the excess off.

I must emphasize to be very CAREFUL. After this is done, I let it cure for another day or two, then wet sand and polish. Most times it works pretty well...

Metallics are more difficult because of the "metal flakes" in the paint, but it can still be done.

Accumulator
03-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Luster- I think he`s asking how to prep the chip on the right *before* he applies the paint...how to get the damaged OE paint/rough plastic smoothed out as part of the prep work.

ty webb- I`d probably use the corner of a Meguiar`s sanding block, or the corner of some folded sandpaper.

I`d mask off the surrounding area so you`re less likely to have an oops.

Remember to shoot for "better" as opposed to "perfect" ;)

ty webb
03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks fellas. The dealership called yesterday and said they had my touch up paint in stock, so I`ll probably get around to picking it up tomorrow.

I`m going to have to be super careful with that right mark though, as this paint is on a plastic bumper and seems to have an elastic property to it.

I`ll be sure to wait a few days before attempting to smooth it down with some fine sandpaper. I think I should be able to get it to the point where it will be very hard to notice it just because of the size of these chips. They`re very small.

I`ll post pics after I`m done and let you guys know how this turns out.

Accumulator
03-20-2008, 11:52 AM
ty webb- OK, sounds like you`re gonna approach this with the proper degree of caution. Just note that most people are kinda surprised at how quickly/easily sandpaper takes things too far, so do take it easy during that step.

Good luck, hope things turn out well.