PDA

View Full Version : How often should a glaze be applied?

Pages : [1] 2

MoreBoostPlease
03-13-2008, 10:10 AM
If a glaze is applied to freshly polished paint and then topped with carnauba, how often should the process be repeated? Is adding carnauba as it breaks down enough?

Also, while I`m at it, does glaze offer any real paint protection, or just depth?

Anomaly
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Ah, thank you for asking these questions!!

I just finished polishing my vehicle and plan on doing the glaze/nuba routine and have the same questions.

SilverSeven
03-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I usually do the glaze step 3 - 4 months in a year. Depending on my own eye`s opinion. If I see that my waxing sessions is not glossy enough, then it`s time to bring out the glaze. :)

Accumulator
03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
As long as you have a healthy coat of wax over the glaze, the latter oughta hold up fine. I`d just rewax frequently so the protection never wears away down to the glaze layer. There`s a limit to how long you can do this, but if you start with a few coats of wax (over the glaze), and rewax whenever you notice a change in the beading or the slickness, it should last a long time.

If you clay (using something like Sonus green) before rewaxing, be *VERY* gentle so you don`t cut through the wax.

MoreBoostPlease
03-13-2008, 12:13 PM
So I guess I`ll probably just put the glaze on in April and maintain it with `nuba through the summer months. In the late fall I`ll wash with Dawn and use Zaino to protect me through the winter.

3puttjay
03-13-2008, 12:24 PM
In the late fall I`ll wash with Dawn and use Zaino to protect me through the winter.

I`mplanning on using some Danase wet glaze in the spring when it gets warmer. I intend to put 3 layers of Collinite 476 over top. If it still looks okay in the fall, i will just put on another 3 layers for the winter protection. I put on 3 layers back in August of last year and I`m just now noticing that that its not beading like it was just a few months back. My car sits outside 24/7 and that is pretty good protection for just 3 layers. Next warm spring day I`ll polish, glaze and wax again. I`m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

twitch
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
A glaze like Danase Wet Glaze is so easy to apply just do it whenever you feel like it. If after your wash session you feel that you want to add "some more" then lay down the glaze. You`d still have the protection from your existing carnauba layer too.

MoreBoostPlease
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
I`mplanning on using some Danase wet glaze in the spring when it gets warmer. I intend to put 3 layers of Collinite 476 over top. If it still looks okay in the fall, i will just put on another 3 layers for the winter protection. I put on 3 layers back in August of last year and I`m just now noticing that that its not beading like it was just a few months back. My car sits outside 24/7 and that is pretty good protection for just 3 layers. Next warm spring day I`ll polish, glaze and wax again. I`m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Up here in the Northeast I definitely prefer the durability of Zaino in the winter. With regular washing hard to come by, Z does a good job of beading/protecting even after months of snow/salt/ice/etc.

steelwind101
03-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Hello

Your glaze will eroded when the LSP that protects it has detirorate to the point where it no longer protects the paintwork below it.

Use an oil based glaze after polishing to restore oils to your paintwork.

Geoff

BuffMe
03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
You should apply it as often as your LSP breaks down and you want to continue to hide things.

David Fermani
03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
As long as the vehicle has been corrected and swirl free, there`s nothting wrong with machine glazing & wasing it to keep the finish looking nice and staying protected.

Legacy
03-13-2008, 06:53 PM
As long as the vehicle has been corrected and swirl free, there`s nothting wrong with machine glazing & wasing it to keep the finish looking nice and staying protected.David, have you used a pc to apply DWG? If so, at what speed and do you buff till the dwg is clear?

ajnavo61490
03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
prolly only once every 6 months... as long as you reapply a good coat of wax to top it, it should hold the glaze on there

Junebug
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I have applied DWG by hand and by gray LC pad on the PC - speed 2-3, PC is much faster!

Legacy
03-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I have applied DWG by hand and by gray LC pad on the PC - speed 2-3, PC is much faster!

Thanks for the reply. I agree it would be much faster. Do you buff unitl finish is clear or just enough to have good even coverage?