PDA

View Full Version : Leather Problem, please help!

MnkyBiz
03-13-2008, 07:36 AM
All,

The PO of my `97 M3 allowed a stick of deoderant to liquify in the hot sun, run onto the rear seat, soak into the leather, and Dry!!!! I have done several treatments of the Leatherique (in a hot car for hours, as well as in a 55 gallon drum trash bag, sitting under 6 halogen lamps!), and the spot of hardened leather is still "cardboardy" to the touch. I am trying to avoid taking the seat bottom to an upholsterer.

Please help!

Bill

imported_hockeyplaya13
03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
That is disgusting.

imported_themightytimmah
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
A steamer might work to get it out.

jayjacque
03-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah maybe steam. If not you gotta put some kind of chemical which will break that mess up. It`s pretty for sure a strong solvent will hurt the finish, so maybe try soaking with a spot remover first. Even that could compromise the finish, but sounds like you don`t have much to lose. I think goo gone might work, but probably would hurt the finish. If you go that route, then mask off or be careful not to get the chemical on any other adjacent parts of the leather. If you get the mess out and the finish gets compromised, a repair person could probably get the color back. That should be cheaper than re-upholstery

BigJimZ28
03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
try wd-40

(no joke)

jayjacque
03-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I think I`d try WD 40. That`s a good idea. Should he leave it sit there for awhile before trying to break it up, or just start working with it as soon as he sprays?

BigJimZ28
03-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I think I`d try WD 40. That`s a good idea. Should he leave it sit there for awhile before trying to break it up, or just start working with it as soon as he sprays?

try a spray fisrt

but it will prob. need to be sprayed on a rag

and let dwell for a bit