PDA

View Full Version : how to clean Black felt under hood?

Swedish
03-13-2008, 03:25 AM
The Mustang I`m working on has a black felt type fabric on the underside of the hood. I steamed it and scrubbed it very lightly, but it still has a raggedy look to it. Is there a known process for this item, or have I done all that can be done for it?

imported_steveo3002
03-13-2008, 06:42 AM
ive done them with a gentle pass with the power washer, needs to be held at a distance and on a wide fan

then hang it to dry somewhere

blucpe
03-13-2008, 06:53 AM
usually it`s just dust so i put the round brush attachment on my vacuum and vacuum it.

Setec Astronomy
03-13-2008, 07:14 AM
...but it still has a raggedy look to it.

If "raggedy" means dirty, then you may be able to clean it as suggested above. If "raggedy" means raggedy, i.e. torn or frayed...you`re not going to be able to do anything about that.

beabout
03-13-2008, 08:12 AM
If it is not in the condition described by "Setec Astronomy" in post #4 and the raggedy means white stains (water) then you can use fabic or leather dye to coat it.

Accumulator
03-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I usually just let mine get a little damp from my underhood-cleaning efforts and then wipe them dry (somewhat gently) with cotton towels. If the pads get stained, I use something like P21S TAW and then rinse using the foamgun (on "rinse" setting).

Swedish
03-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys! Here`s how it turned out after the steam clean:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6999/cobra13ki7.jpg

imported_Luster
03-14-2008, 08:51 PM
My best suggestion would be to take if off and throw it in the trash!

I had the same problem with my 2001 Grand Prix. The felt always looked nasty. Then I started painting it once a year. After 2 months, same problem.

Then I thought... hey, my TransAm has no felt under the hood from the factory. Why not take it off... No ill effects after nearly 5 years.

Now underhood is always clean and shiney.

Accumulator
03-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Swedish- Looks like you got it cleaner than it must`ve been, but it might be about time for a new one.

imported_themightytimmah
03-15-2008, 12:40 PM
My best suggestion would be to take if off and throw it in the trash!

I had the same problem with my 2001 Grand Prix. The felt always looked nasty. Then I started painting it once a year. After 2 months, same problem.

Then I thought... hey, my TransAm has no felt under the hood from the factory. Why not take it off... No ill effects after nearly 5 years.

Now underhood is always clean and shiney.

I`m convinced that taking the pad off led to premature basecoat cracking on my GTP from the heat... but YMMV. I think the NA motors might throw off less heat than the SC motors though.