PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Detailer Procedure?

dtrujillo63
03-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Hello All,

I`ve been reading the forum for a while now. Now that I have a new car, I want to take the plunge and give this detailing thing a real shot. So I plan on purchasing a bundled UDM with LC pads. I will be detailing my 6 month old white tsx. Will the following procedure work for me?

1. Wash

2. Dry

3. Clay

4. UDM - LC Orange pad w/ Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2

5. UDM - LC White pad w/ Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1

6. UDM - LC Grey pad w/ Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze

7. Finish off with a coat of liquid wax applied using the UDM.

Does this sound about right? Since my car is only 6 months old with very very light swirls should I skip step 4? If you guys have other product suggestions feel free to comment.

Thanks in advance.

dtrujillo63
03-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Anyone? I was also thinking about going with the Sonus pads and polishes. What do you guys recommend?

NCZ13
03-12-2008, 02:09 PM
xmt2 is a fine swirl remover. you should get the kit with the xmt3. its better to have a medium cut which is well rounded to do it all rather than have a finer polish that cant.

Old Pirate
03-12-2008, 02:12 PM
How bout some pic`s of you ride. I`m not really into XMT, but i use SIP and 106FF.

dtrujillo63
03-13-2008, 12:33 PM
After reading a little more, I decided to use FS UPP for my LSP. Still trying to decide what polishes to use. I leaning towards Optimum Polish.

So here is my new procedure...

1. Wash

2. Dry

3. Clay

4. UDM - LC White pad w/ Optimum Polish (If this doesn`t seem to do the trick, I`ll try orange pad with OP)

5. Fishes off with a coat of FS UPP.

Does this sound better? Another question, is it ok to apply and remove FS UPP using the UDM?

Thanks for the help guys!

Neofate
03-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I`m a newbie to the `machine` world on polishing -- But I`ve read alot.

I think your revised solution is a good one. You didn`t need all those steps before on a 6 month old vehicle if it hasn`t just been swirled to death already.

The UDM with OP should be fine for whatever light imperfections exist,.. and keeping it simple for final step is good to start.

I`m not familiar with the four star products,.. but if that is a sealant of some kind then I would say perfect. If it is not, then I might look into getting a sealant/wax -- Something akin to NXT 2.0 or any other variation of these types of polymer products. I`ve been really pleased with them and ease of use/durability.

Though, my knowledge is very limited and I can only speak for things I`ve used and done,.. which is why the NXT 2.0 is thrown in there..

Oh, and application and removal of the UPP is fine with your UDM.

KnuckleBuckett
03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Seriously. Check out Ultima. Their PGP and PPP will astound you.

KnuckleBuckett
03-13-2008, 05:51 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/103558-super-wet.html

Worth reading...