PDA

View Full Version : 3M Trizact?? Mirka system??

Pages : [1] 2 3

SYDWAZ
03-11-2008, 11:29 PM
So I tried a search for this, and I think I have come to the conclusion that these are hook and loop pads. Is this correct? I want to get a sanding system, but I am not sure what would be good. If you needed to get into a system which one would you use, and what DA sander would you buy if you had the choice? Any help on this would be appreciated!

Thanks, Shawn :)

jesselyons2002
03-12-2008, 03:33 AM
I was thinking about buying a micro dual action sander for the headlights. One maybe made from Ingersoll rand or Chicago pneumatic.

imported_Detailing Technology
03-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Buy a 6" and use it on paint. Buy a 3" for the hedlights or do them by hand.

I have used both before for sanding clear. I olny chose Mirka over 3M to be "contrary to popular demand"

imported_rydawg
03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I was thinking about buying a micro dual action sander for the headlights. One maybe made from Ingersoll rand or Chicago pneumatic.

3M just came out with a professional kit in a bag with everything you need.

3M(TM) Headlight Lens Restoration System US auto autos car cars automobile automobiles automotive truck trucks suv suvs vehicle vehicles head light lights headlight headlights tail taillight taillights plastic plastics cover covers fog fogs foggy fog (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Featured_Products/Headlight/)

the other pc
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Both the Mirka Abralon and 3M Trizact systems work very well.

I lean toward Mirka but I’m ok with using either.

One annoying thing about Trizact is that their “Hookit II†hook&loop system is backwards from everybody else’s (including their own “Hookit†system). “Hookit II†has the loop on the backing plate and the hook on the discs. So you have to use their backing plates or an interface adapter and you can’t easily swap back and forth with other products.

PC.

imported_Detailing Technology
03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Right, the 3m has the"soft interface pad" which is nice when using the DA over body contours and Trizact paper.

The more expensive Mirka paper has thick foam built in. I have read someone was using them by hand!!!!

SYDWAZ
03-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Buy a 6" and use it on paint. Buy a 3" for the hedlights or do them by hand.

I have used both before for sanding clear. I olny chose Mirka over 3M to be "contrary to popular demand"

So would it be better to get a palm DA sander, or a gun grip style sander to use with either system. I like the Trizact system it looks pretty nice with the foam pad. In the link rydawg posted it looks like there gun style.

I am guessing that the 6in is a palm, and the 3in is a gun style. The backing plate would fit on any style DA, is this correct?

Thanks guys!

jesselyons2002
03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
3M just came out with a professional kit in a bag with everything you need.

3M(TM) Headlight Lens Restoration System US auto autos car cars automobile automobiles automotive truck trucks suv suvs vehicle vehicles head light lights headlight headlights tail taillight taillights plastic plastics cover covers fog fogs foggy fog (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Featured_Products/Headlight/)

Yeah I saw that video, thats what made me want to get a micro dual action sander. Also the kit goes for $400.

the other pc
03-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Right, the 3m has the"soft interface pad" which is nice when using the DA over body contours and Trizact paper. ... Mirka also has a foam interface pad in their system. Whether you use it or not depends on what you’re doing. It’s great for fine sanding before polishing but you don’t want backing that’s too soft when removing orange peel.

...The more expensive Mirka paper has thick foam built in. I have read someone was using them by hand!!!! Yes, those are the Abralon pads. They work great by hand and by machine (although they’re really for finishing, not OP removal. For OP you’d use their Abranet and/or Royal Micro abrasives).

So would it be better to get a palm DA sander, or a gun grip style sander to use with either system. I like the Trizact system it looks pretty nice with the foam pad. In the link rydawg posted it looks like there gun style....The pistol grip machine is for doing small contours with 3†pads. For doing panels you want the palm sander.

...I am guessing that the 6in is a palm, and the 3in is a gun style. The backing plate would fit on any style DA, is this correct?Not sure about the pistol grip machine but palm sanders all use the same standard backing plate threading whether they’re from Dynabrade, National Detroit, Mirka, 3M, Hutchins, etc.

PC.

imported_rydawg
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
So would it be better to get a palm DA sander, or a gun grip style sander to use with either system. I like the Trizact system it looks pretty nice with the foam pad. In the link rydawg posted it looks like there gun style.

I am guessing that the 6in is a palm, and the 3in is a gun style. The backing plate would fit on any style DA, is this correct?

Thanks guys!

The link I posted was for the headlight ONLY polishing system.

imported_rydawg
03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
When finishing paint, you need a random orbital drive air sander.

It must be a 3/32 random orbit drive for finishing. You also need a big air compressor that will run the sander.

Standard DA`s are either a 3/8, 3/16, etc. If the wrong sander is used you WILL get squiglies that will take forever to take out. I have seen a lot of body shops leave them behind cause the wrong sander was used.

SYDWAZ
03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys!!

When finishing paint, you need a random orbital drive air sander.

It must be a 3/32 random orbit drive for finishing. You also need a big air compressor that will run the sander.

Standard DA`s are either a 3/8, 3/16, etc. If the wrong sander is used you WILL get squiglies that will take forever to take out. I have seen a lot of body shops leave them behind cause the wrong sander was used.

If you dont mind me asking what model palm sander are you using?

Thanks for the help. Shawn..

imported_rydawg
03-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I had a dynabrade but I sold it to my friend.

The top ones are

Dynabrade Spirit or Supreme

Hutchins 3500 or 4500

Airvantage

SYDWAZ
03-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Not sure about the pistol grip machine but palm sanders all use the same standard backing plate threading whether they’re from Dynabrade, National Detroit, Mirka, 3M, Hutchins, etc.

PC.

Thanks man!

I had a dynabrade but I sold it to my friend.

The top ones are

Dynabrade Spirit or Supreme

Hutchins 3500 or 4500

Airvantage

Thank you too rydawg! I think I can figure it out from here. :2thumbs:

SYDWAZ
03-13-2008, 12:06 AM
I think these are the two style sanders, for anyone else that was wondering..

Item 56850 (http://www.dynabrade.com/regions/1/ind/midFrameset/proddetail.php?item=56850)

HUTCHINS 4500 - DUAL ACTION AIR SANDER 6IN SUPER-SANDER DA (http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/hut4500.html)