PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Come ON!!!, Give me a BREAK!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CleanGSR
03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Geez....so I polished out my black Acura 2 weekends ago. Since then I`ve done 2 washes.

1st wash was a conventional wash, blew the car dry with the leaf blower and did a QD wipe down with Megs Last Touch.

2nd wash was just to get rid of the dust from 4-5 days of driving. Did an ONR wash. As soon as I was done I noticed that I had "swirls" again that are clearly in the direction of the wash mitt and WW drying towels. Not conventional circular swirls, but longer type swirls (kind of oblong).

I`m not positive which of the two washes is the culprit, but come on....I`m always so careful with 2 buckets, touching the paint as little/lightly as possible, etc...... 4-5 hours of polishing down the drain and needs to be re-done. I really did not notice the swirls after the first wash and am about 80% sure that it`s from the ONR wash.

That`s it....I`ve always been skeptical about ONR washes being part of the culprit of my re-marring. I think my paint is just way to soft and I need more lubrication than ONR can give me. Only conventional washes now.....and I need to talk the wife into letting me drop some money on a FOAM GUN.

/Rant

mikebai1990
03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Hm, sorry to hear that.. Maybe you should try separating the two washing methods to make sure which one is causing the problems. I guess the ONR wash is more likely to cause marring. Are you using the correct dilution?

CleanGSR
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, actually I use just a hair more ONR than called for to get a little extra lubricity.

I`m going to tape off a section on both sides and polish them out (I might looks stupid for a couple days), then wait for it to get dusty and try a conventional wash on one side and onr on the other.

I`m almost positive it`s the ONR wash though......this car just swirls really, really easily.

I should add that these swirls are not super bad and seriously look like some stray "flying" cobwebs have fallen onto the car. However for an autopian who had his car perfect 2 weeks prior, it`s unacceptable.....just wanted to clarify that it`s not a huge mess...I can probably clean it up in an hour with a quick pass of Poli-Seal.

Todd@RUPES
03-10-2008, 09:21 PM
What did you polish the paint with? You would be suprised how many products "fill" as in mask defects...

CleanGSR
03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Megs #80 followed by poliseal in some areas using PC and white 5.5" Lake Country White pads at Speed 6. I did a 50/50 wipedown on my test spot to make sure the defects weren`t filled by 80 (and they never are if broken down properly in my experience). I`m very "fluent" with the PC so I`m 100% positive that the swirls were removed and not filled.

KaiYenS
03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
What did you polish the paint with? You would be suprised how many products "fill" as in mask defects...

Which products do you think these are? What do you think of 1Z Polish, Menzerna SIP/106FF?

SVR
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
ONR is rubbish, it has no lubrication

Optimum`s completely off my list of products, promise alot deliver stuff all

jwgarrison
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
That`s true TH0001. What are you washing with? Have you tried lowe`s grout sponge? Detail Doc turned me on to it and i`ll never use anything else again.

CleanGSR
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I jumped on the GS bandwagon and did a small test with both conv. wash and ONR. Both marred my soft paint. Back to the sheepskin mitt which I`ve tested to not marr using conventional washes in the past....same for my drying towels. I rubbed them dry on the paint after a polish (under halogen`s) and they didn`t marr. So, I`m pretty sure it`s the ONR. Even though it was just really dusty, I think the ONR spread the dust/dirt before lifting it and caused the marring. That or maybe I had something stuck in the waffle weave....though they were fresh out of the washer/dryer.

Chris@Optimum
03-10-2008, 09:50 PM

User Error usually, sorry to hear you didn`t have a good experience. Most people have a spot for it in their arsenal.

CleanGSR
03-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I know mine is not user error. I`m so darn careful with the stuff. 2 buckets even though I`m told it`s not necessary. Small sections at a time....pre-soak with separate ONR mix....etc... I think my paint is just freakishly soft......though I have no problem finishing down with the DA w/o micromarring unlike other "softer" clears I`ve polished out.

imported_dazzerjp
03-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I know mine is not user error. I`m so darn careful with the stuff. 2 buckets even though I`m told it`s not necessary. Small sections at a time....pre-soak with separate ONR mix....etc... I think my paint is just freakishly soft......though I have no problem finishing down with the DA w/o micromarring unlike other "softer" clears I`ve polished out.

its probably your paint. ive got a honda and have the same problem. I take extreme care when i wash it and still swirls.

I found a slightly better, but time consuming way.

1> wet car

2> Presoak

3> Rinse

4> 1st hand wash with mitt but very very gently. I barely make contact with the paint. Also, I only do half a panel before rinsing out the mitt with 2nd bucket AND hose inside the mitt.

5> Rinse

6> Wash panel again.

7> Rinse

8> Dry with WW MF

I never wash applying any pressure on the mitt and use more shampoo than really neccesary to make sure the mitt really glides.

Sometimes I have to use a bit of paint cleaner to get the panel cleaner.

Honda paint sucks.

Scottwax
03-10-2008, 11:10 PM

Has enough lubrication for me to use at wash strength (not QD strength) as a clay lube. I`ve probably washed close to 2000 cars with ONR since it came out and I have had no problems. :nixweiss

==================

I have found that waffle weaves are not ideal for ONR since they have so little nap. Regular MFs work a lot better. In addition, when making your first drying pass, make sure some moisture is left on the paint for the second drying pass or you can get drying streaks...in fact, I think what you may be seeing are drying streaks. Try some OD and see if that removes what you are seeing.

My 626 had super soft paint too, and I found that I could actually wash it more gently with ONR since I could see exactly what I was doing the whole time-no suds in the way.

ptaylor_9849
03-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Please trust me on this one. Stick with your gut and get a foam gun. All of my marring stopped after I bought a foam gun, a sheep skin mitt and DP Extreme Foam Shampoo.

But like Todd said, make sure your polish isn`t just filling in till the next wash.

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/97216-shampoo-test.html?highlight=shampoo+test

Patrick

ptaylor_9849
03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Please trust me on this one. Stick with your gut and get a foam gun. All of my marring stopped after I bought my foam gun, a sheep skin mitt and DP Extreme Foam Shampoo.

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/97216-shampoo-test.html?highlight=shampoo+test

Patrick