PDA

View Full Version : newbie here..need help with final detailing decision for 2005 GTI

JasonLI18T
03-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Well i have most of the plan layed out but i can`t decide what polish to use. My car is a 2005 silverstone gray VW GTI. it is a metallic paint. the car has 48k mile.

The car is in in very good overall condition. Ther are some very light swirl marks, and little to no oxidation. I do not own a porter cable so i will be using a cheap orbital buffer. It will all be done by hand except for the polishing step. Here is my plan: (in order)

Wash with meguiars gold class

Clay with a meguiar`s kit

Mild polish with orbital buffer

Klasse high gloss sealant

I am stuck on what kind of polish to use. I initially purchased turtle wax F21 liquid polish but then some people said they weren`t sure if the Klasse would bond to it, so i returned it. I am looking to buy something available in an auto store, not looking to buy online since i need it asap.

I also have 3m rubbing compound, turtle wax polishing compound, and nufinish scratchX. it is my understanding that these are all too harsh for the minor polishing I am looking to do.

What are your suggestions? :xyxthumbs

car in queston:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/01galantlsv6/newpicscars013.jpg

docrice
03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
I have an `01 GTI that I did (for the first time) last summer. VW / Audi paint is notoriously hard to correct, so I benefited from using a PC and some 4" LC pads (orange, sometimes yellow). I initially used Megs #83 for the correction, but changed over to using Menzerna SIP as that made a big difference. I didn`t need to step down to a finishing polish either.

The Turtle Wax rubbing compound (the plastic "can") should be avoided. I know they make a bottled version, but I haven`t heard much about it. I have the 3M rubbing compound (the one that`s usually available locally) but it`s so-so.

In all honesty, I`m not sure how much correction you can achieve out of a cheap orbital on VW clearcoat. Most of the better polishes you`ll hear about on this forum won`t be locally-available (depends where you live, I guess). Which buffer is it?

JasonLI18T
03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I have an `01 GTI that I did (for the first time) last summer. VW / Audi paint is notoriously hard to correct, so I benefited from using a PC and some 4" LC pads (orange, sometimes yellow). I initially used Megs #83 for the correction, but changed over to using Menzerna SIP as that made a big difference. I didn`t need to step down to a finishing polish either.

The Turtle Wax rubbing compound (the plastic "can") should be avoided. I know they make a bottled version, but I haven`t heard much about it. I have the 3M rubbing compound (the one that`s usually available locally) but it`s so-so.

In all honesty, I`m not sure how much correction you can achieve out of a cheap orbital on VW clearcoat. Most of the better polishes you`ll hear about on this forum won`t be locally-available (depends where you live, I guess). Which buffer is it?

its a vector 10 inch random orbital. one of those 40 dollar pep boys jobs, its not mine i just found it in my garage and got some bonnets for it.

I actually submitted this thread 3 days ago and it finally popped up today. I ended up purchasing meguiars number 80 speeed glaze and some mothers pure carnuba to top off the klasse after a couple coats.

i hope my saving grace is that my car is only ~3 years old and well taken care of and frequently waxed. the swirls are very light and seem pretty superficial, hopefully i can at least improve them and hide the rest with the sealant and wax.

docrice
03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Those buffers from Pep Boys are really under-powered for any polishing work from what I hear. They`re meant more for applying waxes. Good luck though and it doesn`t hurt to try.

The glaze and wax should help temporarily conceal minor swirling, although after a number of washes they`ll re-appear. For any permanent solution, real paint correction / polishing is necessary (and generally that involves a capable orbital, if not a rotary, plus appropriate polishes and technique).

Hover around your car with some powerful halogens or an LED flashlight and do a 1 - 3 foot close inspection. At least that way you can assess your paint`s overall condition top-to-bottom. Another thing you`ll probably want to consider is the plastic / rubber parts (valences, rubber weather stripping, cowl, rear antenna, black trim around the windows, etc.). Those fade out after a while and I personally used Zaino Z-16 as well as Black Wow to get the life back into them (some people use black shoe polish).