PDA

View Full Version : 4Runner swirls!

Toyo245
03-09-2008, 01:57 PM
What do u guys recommend to get out these swirls and scratches? Im looking to start buying some product and wanted to get your thoughts. Hopefully I can achieve a near perfect finish eventually.

Toyo245
03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Come on guys! Need some advice from all u pros and enthusiasts!

BuffMe
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Hm, those don`t look too bad at all. I figure you could get those out with some Menzerna Intensive with a white CCS pad (or an orange if it needs a bit more cut) followed by either P0106FF or P085RD on a white CCS pad. Then put whatever wax/sealant you see fit.

However, every job is different, so this is just what I would start with, assuming nothing is acting up.

twitch
03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
:welcome to Autopia!

There are plenty of people here that can help you. You do need to provide more information for everyone to work with though.

Most importantly how do you intend on doing this, by hand or machine? If machine which one? Do you need product and pad recommendations?

It may be best to pick up a range of items since you will want to start as gentle as possible and move up in aggressiveness to correct your conditions. You will have to test some as to what combination will work the best for you.

Well, this is a start :xyxthumbs

CleanGSR
03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I`m with twitch. Kind of hard to recommend when we don`t know what method you plan to use to correct the paint.

If you don`t have a buffer and are on a budget, then get a PC7336 from Lowes, 5" backing plate (I got from exceldetail) and some Lake Country 5.5" Pads. This is the combo that`s worked best for me. You`ll also want orange, white, and a finishing pads (not sure on the color....blue maybe?). Then, you have to make the hard decision of which polishes to go with.

If you have a little more then I`d definately look into the Flex DA. I don`t have experience with them, but worlds ahead of the PC from what everybody`s said.

You`d be hard pressed to remove those by hand unless you have a bionic arm. Even with a PC it would take a good bit of time.

Chris@Optimum
03-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I just did a Tundra yesterday that looked worse than that. My process is at:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/104000-integritydetail-black-tundra-1st-c-b.html

Tripperfx3
03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I worked at Toyota for years and found their paint to be fairly soft. I was a porter and had to wash cars (not detail) and found that a simple wash with the sheepskin mits that they had their would scratch/swirl the paint. It shouldn`t need too much to fix it. If your using a PC/UDM i`d go with Poorboys products as they work very well with PC/UDM. The SSR1 should fix your swirls, but if not go with the SSR2.5 w/ white CCS pad.

Toyo245
03-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys!

Some more info - I will be buying a PC soon and have not yet purchased pads or product yet. I was thinking of starting with Menzerna and finishing with Z-PC and Z2. What do u think?

From least agressive to most is this the right order for Menzerna - 106ff, IP, SIP?

Could I probably just hit it with 106ff and if that works move on to Z-PC and finally Z2?

Or could I just skip Z-PC if the 106ff works?

Pics - if you are able to zoom in on those pics, u can see a ton of swirls. Still learning how to use my camera the best to pick up the degree of correction needed. If i had some halogens, the flaws would be more evident.

Thanks

BuffMe
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
That is the correct order for Menzerna. You can use 106ff or Z-PC, but you shouldn`t need both. They are both good products but different mannerisms as Z-PC has diminishing abrasives. If 106ff works to get the swirls out, that should leave you with a perfect finish for your LSP.

LanceM
03-14-2008, 10:34 AM
i did a black 4runner and had excellent results with sip and 106ff

Toyo245
03-14-2008, 12:38 PM
That is the correct order for Menzerna. You can use 106ff or Z-PC, but you shouldn`t need both. They are both good products but different mannerisms as Z-PC has diminishing abrasives. If 106ff works to get the swirls out, that should leave you with a perfect finish for your LSP.

Thx for the info. which one is more aggressive - 106 or Z-PC? Do u recommend one over the other?

what is the difference in how the two products take out swirls? -u mentioned that the ZPC has diminishing abrasives.

Toyo245
03-14-2008, 12:40 PM
i did a black 4runner and had excellent results with sip and 106ff

Id love to see some pics if u took any!

just wondering - why did u use both SIP and 106ff? did u use them in that order too?

Toyo245
03-14-2008, 12:41 PM

there was someone in click and brag who used 106ff and then Z-PC, so i thought it was necessary to use both.

Ill get the hang of this eventually!

thanks

BuffMe
03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, keep in mind that there aren`t certain necessary steps for any job. Some jobs may require a pass with Z-PC after 106ff, some might not. You will get the hang of it. Just get out there and start trying things.

Toyo245
03-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Well, keep in mind that there aren`t certain necessary steps for any job. Some jobs may require a pass with Z-PC after 106ff, some might not. You will get the hang of it. Just get out there and start trying things.

Will do. thx!