PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dust: Best of all worlds?

Low Tech
03-08-2008, 11:07 PM
OK - In my ongoing war against brake dust, I`m experimenting to find for the best of all worlds...

GOALS:

1. Lower accumulation of dust/shedding dust, plus

2. Easy clean up (w/ just pressure or mild soap, no harsh cleaner), plus

3. Quick and easy application after washes

3. Longevity

CURRENT:

I am now using Poorboors Wheel Sealant and have a case of mostly unused Michelin Brake Dust Repellent. I have used Opti-Seal and Ultima T&TG and PGP, too. I have used FK425 after cleaning and it helps shed some dust.

QUESTIONS:

1. Can I use the MBDR over the PWS to any good effect?

2. Would MBDR remove the PWS or any other sealant?

3. Could a sealant (OOS, PGP or T&TG) go over PWS with any effect and not strip PWS?

TIA, and I`m open to any suggestions... :help:

300B
03-09-2008, 08:37 AM
The right brake pad makes all the difference.

pt91
03-09-2008, 09:12 AM
hawk ceramic pads made a difference for me.

us OS after every wash or two.

mikered30
03-09-2008, 09:36 AM
How bad do the Hawks squeak?

Low Tech
03-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Re: Pads - Problem is my fronts are 8-piston calipers and 17" Cross-drilled rotors - Haven`t been able to locate Ceramic or Kevlar to fit. It appears no low-dust pads yet fit this new model.

Plus, manufacturer will only support warranty and service for stock pads. I`ve used Mintex, EBC, and Rotex pads on different cars in the past. But, I`ve had some fading / rotor-chewing problems with non-oem in past cars.

Which leaves me living with great brakes and stopping, but terrible dust. :mad:

PWS and/or OOS make clean-up easy, but I`d like to cut down on accumulation in between cleaning. I know, I know -- me and a thousand other drivers, too!

Perhaps an invisible force-shield... In any event, just wanted to check to see if there is a new product or new combination or technique that I`ve missed out there...?

pt91
03-09-2008, 09:40 AM
How bad do the Hawks squeak?

no squeak but they are not performance pads. stop as good as the oems but much cleaner.

pt91
03-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Could a sealant (OOS, PGP or T&TG) go over PWS with any effect and not strip PWS?

that would be worth a try.

jimmie jam
03-09-2008, 09:42 AM
no squeak but they are not performance pads. stop as good as the oems but much cleaner.

just put ceramics on and you will be happy:secret . i put them on my C6 @ 700 miles. i ordered my car with the F55 adjustable suspension (HD soft brake pads). the polished wheels looked like comp. grey wheels after about 12 miles of driving:soscared: . enough of the pain.

pt91
03-09-2008, 09:49 AM
just put ceramics on and you will be happy:secret . i put them on my C6 @ 700 miles. i ordered my car with the F55 adjustable suspension (HD soft brake pads). the polished wheels looked like comp. grey wheels after about 12 miles of driving:soscared: . enough of the pain.

i am using ceramics. the OP stated that they are not available for his brakes.

jimmie jam
03-09-2008, 09:53 AM
i am using ceramics. the OP stated that they are not available for his brakes.

ah, didn`t see the 5th post down where he states that. :sadpace:

smokin180
03-09-2008, 09:56 AM
E.O.NANO POLISH X2 - DG104 PASTE WAX X2. Only need to rinse to clean .http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w187/ramtough1995/2008_0302truckcar0012.jpg

Low Tech
03-09-2008, 10:10 AM
E.O.NANO POLISH X2 - DG104 PASTE WAX X2. Only need to rinse to clean

Thanks... and true - There are many products that help w/ cleanup but I`m experimenting/searching for an optimal way to also lower accumulation...

Could a sealant (OOS, PGP or T&TG) go over PWS with any effect and not strip PWS? that would be worth a try.

Poorboys said to give it a shot and I will. They didn`t think it would strip it if I have 3 coats of PWS on. Those would be easier to apply than PWS every time...

I`ll continue my experiments and post results. In the meantime, if there aren`t any other miracle products or techniques, guess I`ll have to invent one! :think:

GatorJ
03-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I have Hawk HPS pads on my 300ZX and they are performance pads (the Hawk ceramic pads are NOT). Most ceramics are not performance pads. They are marketed as premium replacement pads. Ceramics do dust, the dust is less noticeable due to the color of the material. I get very, very little dust from my Hawks. I would recommend you go to tirerack.com and use their upgrade garage feature. There you can see what is available for your particular application in both replacement and upgraded performance pads and read owners` reviews of the different pads.