PDA

View Full Version : Items to properly dry without scratching?

intel
03-08-2008, 09:17 PM
How do you dry your car without scratching it? (what products do you use)

Thanks

BigAl3
03-08-2008, 09:23 PM
you can use a quality waffle weave or microfiber drying towel. one thing i`ve learned over the years is to not apply so much pressure when doing so, just let the waffle weave or microfiber drying towel soak up the water. you can also spray some QD to help aid in drying as well...

p.s. :welcome !

BigJimZ28
03-08-2008, 09:24 PM
blot dry with a good MF

imported_hockeyplaya13
03-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Sheet the water when you are done washing to reduce the amount you have to dry :xyxthumbs Then like they said, blot dry with a good waffle weave MF.

Accumulator
03-08-2008, 09:36 PM
intel- Welcome to Autopia!

I suggest you CD-test and prospective drying media. Just get the data side of a CD wet and then dry it with the same pressure/etc. you`d use on your car. Inspect for marring and don`t touch your paint with anything that scratches the CD.

This is leaving aside the whole issue of residual dirt; if there`s dirt on the paint when you dry it, said dirt will probably abrade/mar the paint.

Brace1
03-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Sheeting the water, then using a leaf blower is about the best way (can`t scratch it if you`re not touching it).

99blackSE
03-08-2008, 11:08 PM
blot dry with a good MF

I use the same process and I believe it works fairly well :up

BigAl3
03-08-2008, 11:08 PM
(what products do you use)

this is a pretty nice microfiber drying towel (included in this box set, and priced just right on clearance. go to your local target and see if they have anymore... http://autopia.org/forum/good-deals/103480-vroom-clearance-kit.html?highlight=target

obey
03-09-2008, 04:48 AM
blot dry with a big waffle weave mf towel. no wringing out necessary!

steelwind101
03-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Hello!

Ok,

1. Ditch the WW and get a good quality MF drying towel. Most of the high end UK detailers now use these and they are really anal on things like this. Its probably the best move i made though! The towels are just like using a normal plush MF, very safe, very soft and you can drag them over the paintwork as opposed to this blotting thing.

2. Spray some QD on each panel before you buff. Why?

- Things like Showtime, QS and LT will help disperse water on the cars surface.

- Any loose dirt that runs over the surface pre wash, no matter how small you might not see it will become lubricated and taken away from the paintwork in the same way it will when you qd a lightly dirty car.

-Further more the QD lubricates the surface for the drying towel, reducing the chances of marring even more.

- Qding when you dry reduces the need to QD again afterwards, you can then go straight to your next stage or walk away with the car qd`d. No need to come back and QD the car if you are ready to finish touching the car again with more MF`s reducing the chances of even more micromarring.

Geoff

Deanski
03-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Hand held leaf blower, as long as area is wet. Add a fiberglass filter just as a precaution. Or use similar products that have reduction adapters to get into tight spots> Groits has one as well as others that look like a canister vacuum cleaner, only it`s really a blower.

DO NOT use compressed air from your standard air compressor unless it`s setup to shoot paint. You need dryers and oil seperators if using compressed air, or you`ll get a mess on your finish.

Follow witha high quality WW MF towel. Then QD with an ultra plush MF towel. Roll the towel while wiping to capture the dust leftover. If you just rub it back and forth, you stand abetter chance of creating marring.

Deanski

jimmie jam
03-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Hand held leaf blower, as long as area is wet. Add a fiberglass filter just as a precaution. Or use similar products that have reduction adapters to get into tight spots> Groits has one as well as others that look like a canister vacuum cleaner, only it`s really a blower.

DO NOT use compressed air from your standard air compressor unless it`s setup to shoot paint. You need dryers and oil seperators if using compressed air, or you`ll get a mess on your finish.

Follow witha high quality WW MF towel. Then QD with an ultra plush MF towel. Roll the towel while wiping to capture the dust leftover. If you just rub it back and forth, you stand abetter chance of creating marring.

Deanski

i agree,:xyxthumbs

nmxdaven
03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
+1

I just give it a quick going over with my gas leaf blower after I let the water sheet off. Takes about 3 minutes for a small car like mine.