PDA

View Full Version : Sal Zaino on Carnauba wax

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

imported_DetailDan
03-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Not sure how many have seen this, or how old it is. But I found Sal`s thoughts on Carnauba pretty interesting. I dont really care about the guys findings on Zaino, those could be debated all day long. But what do you guys think about Sal`s thoughts on Carnauba? What are your thoughts on Carnabua vs. sealants?

Thje Great Independent Zaino Test (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/zaino_letter.html)

Additional link to article: Thje Great Independent Zaino Test (http://web.archive.org/web/20100116042205/http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/zaino_letter.html)

wannafbody
03-08-2008, 02:38 PM
That guy doesn`t get the fact that Gold Class contains carnauba. Carnaubas are old school technology. GC looks great because it contains Megs "trade secret oils". Hey, if you guys love carnaubas then use them to your hearts content. It`s also confusing because the term "polymer"(technically a string of monomers) can also refer to polymer blends containing carnauba.

gmblack3
03-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Just saw that this was back in 2001.

imported_DetailDan
03-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Then have things changed? Does wax leave the finish hazy or greasy? Are silicones still used in all waxes? What are your thoughts?

gmblack3
03-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Then have things changed? Does wax leave the finish hazy or greasy? Are silicones still used in all waxes? What are your thoughts?

I have no idea. :)

The last wax I used was lusso. I got 56 days before the horz surfaces lacked any beading at all. This was on my wifes BMW, that sat in the garage for approx 20 of those 56 days waiting on a part. I just don`t have the time to apply a LSP to our cars every 4-6 weeks. I thought it looked very good after the initital application, but I need and my clients demand durability.

These of course are all my thoughts and findings, your findings and thoughts may differ.

imported_DetailDan
03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Just trying to get peoples opinions on the subject, thats all. Sal makes it seem like you`re insane if you use Carnauba.

gmblack3
03-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I just use what works best for my clients and myself.

David Fermani
03-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Carnauba has no durability, does not last and it attracts dust and dirt like a

magnet and once dust settles on it, it sticks to it. Dust on paint

causes tiny Swirls and Scratches. Also Carnauba is very brittle. It will

not stay on the paint surface for any length of time. Most of the time

less than 3 weeks.......

Unless you`re wiping the dust off your vehicle, I don`t understand how dust on paint causes damage unless friction is used? Also, I think the 3 week durability claim isn`t accurate.

P1et
03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
This can be dabated into the ground all day long. As much as I love Zaino and love its durability, it`s much easier for me to slap on a layer of Lusso Oro when I`m done washing.

Mikeyc
03-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Just trying to get peoples opinions on the subject, thats all. Sal makes it seem like you`re insane if you use Carnauba.

I`d say Sal has a vested interest in making people think that carnauba is a bad product. The only good advice you can get about product choice is from Mike Philips at Meguiar`s "find something you like and use it often."

Unfortunately there is no "scientific" method for choosing the right product for you. Personally, I feel like anyone who tries to make a scientific method for choosing an LSP is forcing a square peg in a round hole. It`s very subjective choice. So, objective measuring just won`t work. Just my 2 cents.

07NIGHTHAWKSI
03-08-2008, 04:06 PM
i like using a synthetic wax under a carnauba, i think on darker cars the natural carnauba looks great, on my car it leaves a brilliant shine, ive never noticed any hazing whatsoever

kustomsol
03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I`ve 5 cars which were "Zaino`ed" in mid-late October 2007. Three are regularly garaged and 2 of those three have not been washed since the initial application. All bead water well and look good inspite of some dust on the ones which haven`t been washed. The 4th car is an old 1985 VW Synchro wagon which sits ourtside and is used as a back up, haulage, and bad weather vehicle. It has had no attention since October and still beads water very well. The 5th car is a 1991 Toyota Camry which my 18 year old grand-daughter drives. It hasn`t been washed, but has been outside under pine trees, etc. It beeds water well and looks pretty darned good considering the lack of care. I`ve not washed the VW since I`m waiting to see how long it will still beed water. I have no idea when my grand-daughter will wash her Camry, but I did give her a bottle of Z-7 (Zaino carwash) to use when she does.

As a Zaino Zealot, I will admit that almost all of the premium car sealants and waxes generally look equally well immediately after application, but their durability varies widely. Over the last 50+ years, I`ve used a wide variety of products starting with the old "yellow can" Simoniz back in the late 1950`s. But IMO, Zaino has the corner on durability based on water beeding and general appearance. Interestingly, two days ago, one of my friends accused me of getting a new car. He was looking at our 2002 LS430 DD which I had Zaino`ed in October and just washed and "Z-8`ed".

wannafbody
03-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I have no idea. :)

The last wax I used was lusso. I got 56 days before the horz surfaces lacked any beading at all. This was on my wifes BMW, that sat in the garage for approx 20 of those 56 days waiting on a part. I just don`t have the time to apply a LSP to our cars every 4-6 weeks. I thought it looked very good after the initital application, but I need and my clients demand durability.

These of course are all my thoughts and findings, your findings and thoughts may differ.

56-20=36 approximately 4 weeks of durability for a carnauba. Was this summer, fall or winter?

Quote...This can be dabated into the ground all day long. As much as I love Zaino and love its durability, it`s much easier for me to slap on a layer of Lusso Oro when I`m done washing.(end Quote)

As opposed to using CS or Z8?

Bigpoppa3346
03-08-2008, 04:41 PM
36 days is actually 5 weeks. Anyways, that isn`t very impressive for a $40 product. I generally won`t use a product unless I get a solid 2+ months.

imported_DetailDan
03-08-2008, 04:50 PM
36 days is actually 5 weeks. Anyways, that isn`t very impressive for a $40 product. I generally won`t use a product unless I get a solid 2+ months.

What waxes have you found last more then 2 months?